With a long and rich history of health sciences education, Des Moines University is committed to the success of the OTD program and its future students.
Intended OTD program timeline
Des Moines University’s intended OTD program timeline is as follows:
- The OTD Program was approved by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) in May 2022
- The Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) reviewed our application and has granted Candidacy Status to the DMU OTD program.
- In August 2023, DMU’s inaugural OTD Class of 2026 will begin courses on the brand new, state-of-the-art, interprofessional campus in West Des Moines.
- In fall 2024, the OTD program will complete a Report of Self-Study for pre-accreditation review by ACOTE, to ensure successful accreditation. This will follow with on-site evaluation in fall 2025.
- ACOTE will review to grant Accreditation Status in December 2025, in advance of DMU’s OTD Class of 2026 beginning their doctoral capstone.
- In May 2026, DMU’s inaugural OTD Class of 2026 will graduate and sit for their NBCOT examination.
Please contact our Admissions team with any questions or requests for additional information.
In accordance with the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Financial Aid, all coursework for the Doctor of Occupational Therapy degree must be completed within 150% of the stated program length, or 4.5 years, beginning with enrollment in the first course. The didactic portion of the program is approximately 2 years (22 months). Students must then complete 24 weeks of Level II fieldwork as well as an individual 14-week capstone experience within 24 months following the completion of the didactic portion of the program. The doctoral capstone experience must be started after completion of all coursework and Level II fieldwork as well as completion of preparatory activities defined in 2018 ACOTE OTD Standard D.1.3.