Founded in 1898, Des Moines University comprises three colleges offering eight graduate degrees. A health sciences university since adding the colleges of health sciences and podiatric medicine and surgery in 1981, the programs share a collective strength — a collaborative campus community where students and faculty come together in the pursuit of knowledge.
Des Moines University offers degree programs in medicine and the health sciences. We share a singular mission to develop distinctive health professionals committed to health promotion, the discovery of knowledge and service to the community.
Facts About DMU
- Nearly 1,800 students were enrolled across 8 graduate degree programs in the 2016-17 academic year.
- DMU is the largest medical school in Iowa with more than 880 students in the osteopathic medical program. It’s large enough to offer every educational amenity but small enough to focus on excellence.
- DMU is one of the top 25 largest medical schools (for D.O.s or M.D.s) in the nation, out of 181 accredited schools.
- The very first medical class in 1898 included both sexes and today 50% of the student body are women.
- 71% of students are recruited from states outside of Iowa.
- Students received more than $6.3 million in scholarships in the '17-'18 academic year.
- DMU has over 14,000 alumni and more than 3,100 of those are located in Iowa.
- DMU students and employees serve the community in a wide variety of ways, from free on-campus events like the annual Senior Health Fair and Girls Exploring Medicine & Science to off-campus health screenings, osteopathic manual medicine treatments, health education programs and many more volunteer activities.
Our Academic Programs
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.)
- Master of Science in Anatomy (M.S.)
- Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences (M.S.)
- Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (D.P.M.)
- Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies (M.S.)
- Doctor of Physical Therapy (D.P.T.)
- Master of Health Care Administration (M.H.A.)
- Master of Public Health (M.P.H.)