Des Moines University proudly presents a number of events annually to promote health in our community. Some activities are coordinated by our Community Relations Department with nonprofit community partners, and others are initiatives of our academic programs or student organizations.
Health Events and Screenings
- Mini Medical School: This five-week evening lecture series (held February - March) presents medical topics in an accessible format designed for lifelong learners from middle school through retirees.
- 50 and Better Health Fair: This on-campus event draws hundreds of attendees from the '50 and Better' crowd for a morning of free health screenings, a resource fair and socializing.
- 'DMU Day' at the Iowa State Fair: The first Sunday of the State Fair is dedicated as 'DMU Day,' a celebration of our University's commitment the community. Fairgoers can find free health screenings and information at our tent on the Grand Concourse.
- Back-to-School Physicals: Every kid deserves a healthy start to the school year! Des Moines University students will conduct free back-to-school physicals under the supervision of licensed clinicians. Uninsured and under-insured families are encouraged to participate. If you don’t catch this event in July, our clinic would be happy to schedule your physical.
- Stroke Camp: People who are post-CVA (cardiovascular accident/stroke) can volunteer to participate in the free week-long camp and receive individualized therapy organized by the Department of Physical Therapy. Testing is done on the first and last day of camp with a celebration on Friday announcing the participant's progress during the week.
- Osteopathic Finish Line: DMU students provide supervised patient care after several athletic events each year.
Did you know? Des Moines University is also home to the DMU Clinic, a multi-specialty medical clinic. Learn more about the DMU Clinic.
Community Relations partners with Free Clinics of Iowa to give every person access to basic health care services. Please learn more about the free clinics in our community here. If you are a DMU student interested in volunteering at a free clinic, please contact Hanna.deGeest@dmu.edu.