Des Moines University proudly presents a number of events annually to promote health in our community. Some activities are coordinated by our Community Relations Department with nonprofit community partners, and others are initiatives of our academic programs or student organizations.
Health Events and Screenings
- Senior Health Fair: Always the first Saturday in November, this on-campus event draws hundreds of attendees from the '50 and Better' crowd for a morning of free health screenings, a resource fair and socializing. Sign up for this years event here.
- 'DMU Day' at the Iowa State Fair: The first Sunday of the State Fair is dedicated as 'DMU Day,' a celebration of our University's commitment the community. Fairgoers can find free health screenings and information at our tent on the Grand Concourse.
- OMM Community Night: Students and faculty from the College of Osteopathic Medicine demonstrate how osteopathic manual medicine (OMM) is used to evaluate and treat the whole body, from the feet through the pelvis, spine and upper extremities & eliminate your pain.
- Back-to-School Physicals: Every kid deserves a healthy start to the school year! Des Moines University students will conduct free back-to-school physicals under the supervision of licensed clinicians. Uninsured and under-insured families are encouraged to participate. If you don’t catch this event in July, our clinic would be happy to schedule your physical.
- Stroke Camp: People who are post-CVA (cardiovascular accident/stroke) can volunteer to participate in the free week-long camp and receive individualized therapy from the DPT students and supervising faculty/clinicians. Testing is done on the first and last day of camp with a celebration on Friday announcing the participants progress during the week. Contact the coordinator.
- Osteopathic Finish Line: DMU students provide supervised patient care after several athletic events each year, including the Des Moines Marathon and RUN DMU 5K.
- Mini Medical School: This five-week evening lecture series (held February - March) presents medical topics in an accessible format designed for lifelong learners from middle school through retirees.
Did you know? Des Moines University is also home to the DMU Clinic, a multi-specialty medical clinic. Learn more about the DMU Clinic.