Public Health Practice Concentration
The public health practice concentration prepares students to enter a wide array of careers to protect and promote the health of individuals, families and communities, locally or globally. Students gain broad training in all the core areas of public health practice so they can develop, implement and assess programs; identify and address social determinants of health; apply the science and art of health promotion and disease prevention; and assume leadership positions. Many graduates work in local and state public health departments, nonprofit organizations and community-based entities.
In addition to the foundational M.P.H. competencies, students in the public health practice concentration will receive didactic preparation and applied assessments to allow attainment of the following competencies. This list is divided into unique Public Health Practice concentration competencies as well competencies that are shared with other M.P.H. concentrations. It should be noted that many concentration courses also provide additional didactic preparation and assessment on foundational competencies.
- Identify and apply legal tools to address specific public health goals within the agency's legal authority, jurisdiction, and operation.
- Ensure public health programs and agency practices are consistent with public health laws and regulations.
- Propose innovative and sustainable multi-sector partnerships to enhance population health.
- Critically analyze global health practice and theory based on historical, socio-cultural, political, governmental, and economic factors.
- Develop specific interventions in the prevention and response of infectious, pandemic, or disaster-related emergencies.
Additional Competencies Addressed
Public Health Administration and Policy Concentration
The public health administration and policy concentration focuses on the financing and administration of a wide variety of public health and health services in public and private sectors. Students gain a foundation in core public health functions and services as well as analytical skills and managerial knowledge to address critical issues such as quality, efficiency, and effectiveness. They’re prepared to improve health in evolving U.S. and global health care systems. Employment options include hospitals, clinics, public health departments, long-term care organizations and health insurance corporations.
In addition to the foundational M.P.H. competencies, students in the Health Administration and Policy Concentration will receive didactic preparation and applied assessments to allow attainment of the following competencies. This list is divided into unique Health Administration and Policy Concentration competencies as well competencies that are shared with other M.P.H. concentrations.
- Apply organizational behavior theories in various health settings.
- Evaluate a health care organization using organizational behavior tools.
- Apply economic theories to evaluate public health policy and its impact on health care organizations.
- Differentiate among public health program goals for individual behavioral change compared to policy, systems, and environment change.
- Recognize an evidence-based health disparity issue among populations experiencing health inequities.
Additional Competencies Addressed
Health Education and Promotion Concentration
The health education and promotion concentration prepares students to work, locally or globally, to protect and promote the health of individuals, families, communities and countries. They learn to apply theory and research to plan, implement and evaluate efforts to enhance health, tackle chronic disease, and design and offer health education in interpersonal, organizational, community and policy-level settings. Career roles include patient educator, health educator, community health planner and policy maker.
In addition to the foundational MPH competencies, students in the Health Education and Promotion Concentration will receive didactic preparation and applied assessments to allow attainment of the following competencies. Competencies addressed in the HEP concentration are also aligned with the Certification for Health Education Specialist exam. This list is divided into unique HEP concentration competencies as well competencies that are shared with other MPH concentrations.