DMU-COM participates in AACOMAS, the Americian Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service. Direct applications to DMU are not accepted. AACOMAS will open May 2, 2019, for the 2020 entering class. However, due to rolling admissions, it is to your advantage to apply earlier in the cycle.
- Review the requirements for admission.
- Submit your online application as soon as possible. Apply through AACOMAS; designate that DMU should receive your application. Applications are available on May 2, 2019, for the class that begins in August 2020. The application deadline is March 1, 2020.
- Submit official transcripts to AACOMAS. Please include all colleges and universities attended.
- Submit your official MCAT scores to AACOMAS. Only MCAT scores taken within three years of matriculation will be accepted. For the 2019-20 cycle, the latest official MCAT score that will be accepted is from 2017.
- Submit your letters of recommendation to AACOMAS. It is best to have letters of recommendation submitted promptly to ensure completion and committee review of your file. Once three letters are received by the admissions office, your letter of recommendation requirement will be considered met and your application will be forwarded to the admissions committee for review; we will not delay the review for additional letters. Below are descriptions of the types of letters the admissions committee recommends:
Medical Letter: Letter written by a DO or MD detailing your exposure to clinical medicine. This may reflect shadowing, volunteer or work experience, but should not include situations which involved you as the patient being treated.
2 Academic or Advisor Letters: Letters written by science professors or academic advisors detailing your academic ability, performance in the sciences and overall preparation for medical school.
Committee Letter: Letter written/compiled by an established college/university pre-health professions committee and will count as 2 of the required letters of recommendation.
6. OPTIONAL: Complete the CASPer Test (Computer-Based Assessment for Sampling Personal Characteristics). All applicants to the DO program at Des Moines University have the option to complete an online assessment (CASPer) to assist with the selection process. Successful completion of CASPer is not mandatory but can be added to your application file.
Your file will not be considered complete by Des Moines University or be forwarded for committee review until all the following are processed by the admissions office.
- Verified AACOMAS application.
- Three letters of recommendation submitted through AACOMAS.
- Official MCAT scores submitted through AACOMAS.
All complete files will be reviewed by the admissions committee within 90 days of completion. Select candidates may be invited for an interview on campus.
First-time entering students may apply to only one Des Moines University clinical program at a time (includes DO, DPM, PA and DPT). Multiple applications will not be accepted or processed.
Note: If you are an international student, please refer to our international student information pages.
Accommodations in Education Policy
The University complies with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act, the Iowa Civil Rights Act and other laws relating to the Accommodations of disabilities in its educational programming.