DMU community service goals
The DMU community service initiative aims to provide meaningful engagement opportunities for staff, faculty, and students to volunteer their time, energy, and resources in response to community needs. DMU community service goals are to:
- Organize or support community service activities that are reliable, of high quality and make a substantive impact in greater Des Moines.
- Inspire DMU participants to establish and deepen a personal commitment to community engagement.
- Communicate opportunities to DMU employees and students for involvement in local activities in response to voiced community needs that align with our focus and resources.
- Engage DMU participants in partnerships that are sustainable, effective, and of mutual benefit.
- Facilitate collaboration among individuals and organizations with a common vision.
Community Service Leave
Des Moines University Community Service Leave (CSL) supports employee community service activities that support the mission and vision of DMU. By providing paid time off for employees during standard work hours to participate in community service, the University demonstrates its institutional commitment to civic responsibility. The maximum time off permitted per calendar year for community service activities is sixteen (16) hours for full time and 80% employees and eight (8) hours for part time employees.
Service and policy vision statement
Des Moines University will be a leader in community service and will collaborate with key stakeholders, coalitions, and partners on policy issues to support the well-being of our community.
- Enhance knowledge through education in health and well-being promotion and prevention for our community through the commitment of compassionate students, faculty, and staff.
- Strengthen community partnership with organizations whose work aligns with our mission to improve lives.
- Focus our health policy advocacy efforts on state and federal issues to promote the well-being of our community and the professional lives of our students and our graduates.
- Embrace and welcome diverse perspectives through a culture of inclusiveness through our community service.