The Des Moines University Mobile Health Clinic helps DMU take our services on the road.
The Mobile Health Clinic is a Winnebago motor coach equipped with two private, handicapped accessible exam rooms and patient reception area and restroom. This resource allows DMU and community partners organizations to deliver health services and provide outreach off-campus.
Priorities for the utilizing the Mobile Clinic include:
- Clinical services to underserved central Iowans
- Educational outreach
- Medical services for local community events
The Mobile Health Clinic was secured through a grant from the Health Resources and Services Administration agency of the Department of Health and Human Services. The Mobile Clinic is maintained by Des Moines University, and available for “check-out” through a lease agreement to qualifying community partner organizations. (Please note that medical supplies and staffing/volunteers are not typically provided in such partner agreements.)
Requests for Mobile Clinic should be directed to the Community Relations Department by completing our Request for Community Services Form.
Examples of current and past Mobile Clinic community partnerships:
- Free Clinics of Iowa to provide services to underserved populations in the Des Moines metro area. Several Mobile Clinic sites have evolved into permanent, on-site clinics after utilizing the mobile unit to prove need.
- Proteus, Inc. to provide farmworkers, immigrants, and others with a variety of services that improve their health.
- American Red Cross Serving Greater Iowa to expand First Aid capacity at the Iowa State Fair.
- Polk County Health Department to conduct HIV/STD screenings at LGBT community events.
Through DMU’s existing community medicine program, the Mobile Health Clinic expands the university’s ability to provide inter-disciplinary medical services at local events such as health fairs, marathons and races, and other events. Under the supervision of DMU faculty, medical and other health science students provide services such as blood pressure screenings, diabetes screenings, EKG tests, cholesterol checks, and osteopathic manual treatments. For more information on DMU’s community medicine program, please call 515-271-1374.