Behavioral Medicine, Medical Humanities and Bioethics menu
Behavioral medicine and psychiatry
- The Society of Behavioral Medicine
A multidisciplinary organization of clinicians, educators, and scientists dedicated to promoting the study of the interactions of behavior with biology and the environment, and the application of that knowledge to improve the health and well being of individuals, families, and communities and populations.
- Iowa Psychiatric Society
An association of physicians dedicated to promoting excellence in psychiatric care.
- American Psychiatric Association
An organization of psychiatrists working together to ensure humane care and effective treatment for all persons with mental disorders, including mental retardation and substance-related disorders. It is the voice and conscience of modern psychiatry. Its vision is a society that has available, accessible quality psychiatric diagnosis and treatment.
- American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
The AACAP is the leading national professional medical association dedicated to treating and improving the quality of life for children, adolescents, and families affected by mental, behavioral or developmental disorders.
- American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry – Scholars Program
A network of medical students interested in psychiatry, from those with a rough interest in the brain and mind to those already in the application and match process.
- Persons interested in exploring psychiatry as a specialty area will want to view this video series (each segment running about 2 – 4 minutes) produced by the APA that profiles four physicians as they discuss career opportunities in psychiatry.
- Students interested in psychiatry residencies may find the 2010-2011 APA Census of Psychiatry Residents Report helpful. It can be accessed at www.psychiatry.org/learn/research–training/resident-census. The report creates a yearly demographic picture of psychiatry residents and fellows. Note that DMU is listed on page 17 as tied for 3rd place among DO schools with the highest number of students entering psychiatry residencies.
- For a helpful and fun guide to preparing personal statements for residency applications, see: annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1389854
Medical humanities and bioethics
History of medicine links
Top of page