DMU is committed to providing support and assistance to our military and veteran students. The information listed provides details on the education benefit application and certification process, tuition assistance, financial aid, academic support and a variety of campus resources.
- Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill®: Eligible students
- Served at least 90 days on active duty (either all at once or with breaks in service) on or after September 11, 2001, or
- Received a Purple Heart on or after September 11, 2001, and were honorably discharged after any amount of service, or
- Served for at least 30 continuous days (all at once, without a break in service) on or after September 11, 2001, and were honorably discharged with a service-connected disability, or
- A dependent child or spouse using benefits transferred by a qualifying Veteran or service member. The Department of Defense (DoD) determines if benefits can be transferred to a family member. Once the DoD approves benefits for transfer, the new beneficiaries apply for benefits through the VA. Click here for more information.
- Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD): Eligible to individuals who have served at least 2 years of active duty.
- Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR): Eligible to active members of the selected reserves with a six-year obligation contract.
- Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness and Employment (formerly known as Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment): Eligible for service members and Veterans with service-connected disabilities. For information on VR&E, or questions about qualifying, please contact the Des Moines Regional VA at 800-827-1000.
- VA Education Benefits for Survivors and Dependents:
Please follow the steps below to use your benefits at DMU:
- Apply for benefits or transfer your benefits to DMU
- Forward a copy of Certificate of Eligibility (COE) document to Bryan Hays, Associate Registrar at Bryan.Hays@dmu.edu.
- Submit the V.A. Benefits Certification Request each term you would like your benefits certified.
Questions about any step in the application and certification process? Please contact please contact Bryan Hays, Associate Registrar at Bryan.Hays@dmu.edu or 515-271-1637.
Apply for Benefits
To determine if you qualify for benefits visit the VA website to apply. Once the application has been processed a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) document will be provided detailing the approved benefits.
Transfer your Benefits to DMU
Are you already approved for VA Benefits but need to transfer the benefits to DMU? Please submit the online VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) form.
Certificate of Eligibility
Students who qualify for benefits receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) document from the VA verifying benefit eligibility. This document must be forwarded to Bryan Hays, Associate Registrar at Bryan.Hays@dmu.edu.
V.A. Benefits Certification Request – Required for DMU to certify your enrollment
All students wishing to use their GI Bill® benefits must submit a Certification Request each term. This request authorizes DMU to certify your enrollment.
Manage your Veterans Education Benefits
To view your VA payment history, view remaining benefits, check VA claim status, etc., visit the VA Education Benefits website. If you have questions about your benefits, please try the GI Bill Help Portal website.
To determine eligibility and to apply for benefits please visit the following:
- Air Force: Air Force Virtual Education Center (AFVEC)
- Army, Amy Reserve, and Army National Guard (ARNG): ArmyIgnitED
- Navy: Navy College Program
- U.S. Marine Corps: Marine Corps Tuition Assistance (TA)
- State Tuition Assistance (Army and Air National Guard): Iowa National Guard Education Assistance Program
- For more information or questions regarding tuition assistance please contact the Student Accounts Administrator at 515-271-1473 or Student.Accounts@dmu.edu.
Military Student Support
Chris Mohr, Student Life and Engagement Manager in Student Affairs, can connect students with additional resources on campus such as student clubs and organizations and faculty with a military background. Please contact Chris Mohr at Chris.Mohr@dmu.edu or 515-271-1440.
Financial Aid, Budgeting, & Managing Your Benefits
Information regarding financial aid, tuition, scholarships, loans, etc. can be found here. For information or questions about budgeting, financial matters or managing your benefits please contact Loran Coder, Financial Literacy Administrator, at Loran.Coder@dmu.edu or 515-271-1405.
Academic Support Services
The Center for Educational Enhancement (CEE) aims to assist DMU students with a broad range of academic services and programs designed to help learners achieve their academic and personal goals. Students will be provided with individual and group opportunities needed to become successful, active learners. CEE strives to assist students in developing independent learning techniques that will contribute to their academic success and life-long learning skills. Please visit the CEE webpage for additional details.
Schedule an appointment with CEE by emailing email@example.com.
Student Counseling Center
The Student Counseling Center helps students meet the personal challenges associated with identifying and accomplishing academic, career and life goals.
Appointments can be scheduled by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, calling 515-271-1392, or stopping by our office on the 7th floor of the Clinic Building during business hours. Please note that counselors do not access e-mail or voicemail during non-business hours or university holidays.
Please visit the Student Counseling Center webpage for more details.
Military Service Leave
The DMU Student Military Deployment Policy provides equitable, consistent treatment to students who are called into military service and facilitates their ability to continue their education once that military service is completed.
Please contact the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com or 515-271-1460 with any questions.
VA Benefits Certifying Official - Bryan Hays, Associate Registrar, Bryan.Hays@dmu.edu or 515-271-1467
Financial Aid Counseling - Loran Coder, Financial Literacy Administrator, Loran.Coder@dmu.edu or 515-271-1405
Tuition Assistance Information - Student Accounts Administrator, Student.Accounts@dmu.edu or 515-271-1473
Military Student Support – Chris Mohr, Student Life and Engagement Manager, Chris.Mohr@dmu.edu or 515-271-1440
Enrollment and Military Leave Questions – Office of the Registrar, Registrar@dmu.edu or 515-271-1460