Due to the ever changing conditions regarding the global outbreak of COVID-19 and in the interest of ensuring public health, Des Moines University has decided to CANCEL the 2020 Health Professions Advanced Summer Scholars (Health P.A.S.S.) program.
Similar to many other campuses across the United States and around the globe, DMU has shifted to an online only format for delivering course work and has also suspended campus visitors. We will continue to follow the recommendations of the CDC, government guidelines, and best practices to reduce the spread of the virus.
On behalf of Des Moines University, thank you for understanding this decision and encourage you to apply next year.
Des Moines University’s Health Professions Advanced Summer Scholars Program – Health P.A.S.S. – is a great way to prepare for and enhance your chances of getting into medical or health professions school. Health P.A.S.S. provides you with key insights and hands-on experience in a variety of health professions.
Get a head start in exploring careers in medicine, health care and science at a top-quality university that prioritizes student success. At Health P.A.S.S., you’ll find out what it’s like to be a physical therapy, physician assistant or medical student as you…
- Learn from lectures and presentations in four clinical areas: osteopathic medicine, podiatric medicine, physical therapy and physician assistant studies.
- Enjoy hands-on experiences in state-of-the-art facilities, including simulations with life-like medical mannequins and labs to test your casting, suturing and surgery skills.
- Shadow doctors and other health care providers in the on-campus clinic.
- Prep for medical/health professions school by participating in mock interviews and giving presentations to enhance your confidence and success.
- Receive guidance from student mentors and interact with DMU faculty, students and staff.
Des Moines University covers the costs of your meals while on campus and residence hall accommodations at nearby Drake University. Enjoy fun, chaperoned activities on campus and around Iowa’s capital on weekends. A travel stipend of up to $500 will be provided, too.
“Words cannot fully express how grateful I am for such a wonderful and life-changing opportunity that I had as a participant in DMU’s Summer Health PASS program. Not only did I learn so much about the different health science programs, the university, the city, and the people, I was also able to learn more about myself. The Summer Health PASS program had such a positive impact on me.”
- Jessica Chu, Health P.A.S.S. 2016, Xavier University
“As a recent immigrant to this country, Health P.A.S.S. provided me with an inclusive atmosphere where I obtained clinical experience focusing on the importance of cultural competency.”
- Koushik Paul, Health P.A.S.S. 2015, University of Minnesota
“Health P.A.S.S. not only motivated me to continue on my journey to medicine, but it taught me a wealth of knowledge that has proven to be invaluable.”
- Ashley Costello, Health P.A.S.S. 2015, CUNY-Lehman College