Where do I start?

The first thing you need to do before applying for financial aid is to set up a budget. This will help you decide how much aid you will need while you are a student. Please refer to the budgets for your specific program. Once you have determined your budget, you can decide how to finance your education utilizing loans, scholarships, etc.  Additional information on financial aid can be found here.Here are some good websites to visit to learn more about applying for financial aid:

What should I do now to prepare to pay for school?

Aside from applying for financial aid, it is a good idea to pay off any credit card debt and reduce your expenses. The Financial Aid information and forms will be available in the spring prior to the upcoming aid year.

Are loans dependent upon my credit?

Federal Direct Unsubsidized loans are not dependent on your credit score, however Federal Direct Grad PLUS loans requires a credit check. Go to AnnualCreditReport.com for a free annual credit report. A high percentage of credit reports have errors on them and it can take a long time to make corrections.  It is a good idea to start fixing your credit score now, if needed.

Are there programs that will pay off my education loans?

There are some federal agencies and states that will help students pay off their loans.  These plans require students to practice for a specific length of time in specified areas after graduation. Here are some loan repayment programs for health professionals:

Are there military service programs that will help pay for school?

Branches of the military have different programs for doctors and medical technicians that include tuition reimbursement. See the links below for more information.

How much can I borrow to pay for school?

You may receive financial aid for up to the DMU student cost of attendance budget for your program and year. This budget includes annual tuition, fees and cost of living expenses. See the cost of attendance budget for your program for more details.

Will I be able to pay it back once I graduate?

The Bureau of Labor Statistics is a good place to find the average salary of someone working in your chosen profession. Although the majority of students graduate with student loan debt, DMU graduates have a very low default rate.

Can I defer my undergraduate loans while at DMU?

Students can defer undergraduate federal loans while they continue their education. They will need to check with individual lenders about deferring private loans.

When do I get my award letter?

Award letters are sent out after we certify your loans.  Students need to have all of their forms complete before we can certify loans.  After the loan is certified you will receive an email notifying you to view your award letter on Pulse.

How do I get my financial aid refund?

You must sign up for direct deposit through the Business and Finance Department.

When do I get my disbursements?

Disbursements generally come the first week of each term.  We ask for disbursements on the earliest day we can, per Federal guidelines. Disbursement dates vary by program and year of school. Check the disbursement date schedule for details.

Is there any way I can get my refund early?

No. Federal regulations govern when the school can disburse money. There is a refund advance available to help you in an emergency. Contact Business and Finance for details.

Do I have to apply for financial aid every year?

Yes. Every year you must fill out the FAFSA. If you have already completed a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Master Promissory Note you still need to complete a DMU Direct Loan Request Form to indicate the amount you want to borrow (the same applies for the Direct Grad Plus Loan).

Is there a deadline to apply for financial aid?

In general, no. But certain loans or scholarships may have deadlines. For example some DMU scholarships have deadlines. You should allow ample time for school and Direct Loan processing.

Do I have to put parental information on my FAFSA?

Only if you plan on applying for a Super Primary Care Loan (4th year D.O. only) if students are not considered Independent by HHS.  Please refer to loan section for details and deadlines.

Scroll to Top