Yujiang Fang, M.D., Ph.D.
Academic Pathologist and Associate Professor, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Program
Academic Pathologist and Associate Professor, Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences Program
Academic Pathologist and Associate Professor, Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences Program
Areas of Expertise
Yujiang Fang joined the DMU department of microbiology and immunology in December 2013. He received his M.D. and Ph.D. in China and has worked as an attending urologist for years. Following postdoctoral training in pathology in Paris and postdoctoral training in immunology in Columbia, Missouri, he was a research assistant professor at the University of Missouri and adjunct assistant professor at several other universities. A member of the editorial boards of several established journals, Dr. Fang has extensive involvement in clinical, teaching and research experiences. He is interested in cancer immunotherapy, the effect of radiosensitizers on cancer and the mechanisms of resolution and fibrosis of inflammation.
|Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Missouri-Columbia, 2003-2007|
|Postdoctoral Fellow, College de France, Paris, France, 2002-2003|
|Ph.D., Molecular Biology, Pekin Union Medical College, China, 2000|
|Clinical Fellow, Urology, Pekin Union Medical College Hospital, China, 1999-2000|
|Residency, Urology, Pekin Union Medical College Hospital 1996-1998|
|Residency, Surgery, 3rd Hospital of Beijing Medical University, China, 1993-1995|
|M.D., Clinical Medicine, Beijing Medical University, China, 1993|
My lab is interested in the following research areas:
- Cancer Immunotherapy: Cytokine-based cancer immunotherapy has been a new hot spot for cancer treatment for years. Recently several new projects have been developed in my lab about the direct effects of cytokines (such as IL-9, IL-17, IL-27, IL-32, IL-33, IL-34, IL-35, IL-36 and IL-38) on tumor proliferation, apoptosis, senescence and metastasis in many cancer cell lines (prostate cancer, bladder cancer, pancreatic cancer, colorectal cancer, cervical cancer, melanoma). I am also interested in exploring the underlying molecular mechanisms for their effects on tumor cells. These in vitro results will be further extended to in vivo studies. The final goal for this project is to use this information to design rational therapeutic strategies for cancer immunotherapy.
- Cancer Radiation Sensitizer: The efficacy of radiation therapy for cancers largely depends on the radiosensitivity of the tumor. Unfortunately, some cancers are among the more radioresistant malignant tumors. The higher radiation dosage may have severe side-effects, however, lower dosage may have little effect on cancers. A safe and effective radiosensitising agent is needed to allow a decrease in the radiation dosage and side-effects associated with radiation.Resveratrol (trans-3, 4’, 5-trihydroxystilbene, RSV) is a ployphenolic compound which occurs naturally in grapes (red wine), peanuts, as well as in other plant species. Many studies showed that it had antitumor effects. In recent years, RSV has become one of the most promising agents against cancer. Recently, we found that RSV could be a powerful radiation sensitizer for prostate cancer and melanoma. My lab will continue to study if RSV as well as other natural chemicals (such as green tea extracts and pomegranate extracts) will be used as radiation sensitizer for other cancers.
- Mechanisms of Resolution or fibrosis of Inflammation My lab is also interested in the cellular and molecular mechanisms of the development, resolution or fibrosis of inflammation by using a well-established mouse model experimental autoimmune thyroiditis (EAT). EAT is induced by mouse thyroglobulin sensitized splenocytes activated in vitro with thyroglobulin and IL-12. Thyroid lesions reach maximal severity 20 days after cell transfer with thyrocyte proliferation. Inflammation resolves or progresses to fibrosis by day 60 depending on the extent of thyroid damage on day 20. Our previous studies have shown that depletion of CD8+ T cells inhibits EAT resolution. We have also found that modulation of pro- and anti-apoptotic molecules expressed in thyrocytes or lymphocytes could promote or inhibit EAT resolution. The current research in my lab is to explore the underlying cellular and molecular mechanisms that lead to these two distinct outcomes (resolution or fibrosis). This project might provide important information to design novel drugs to inhibit fibrosis and promote resolution of inflammation.
All students/postdoc/visiting scholars are welcome to my lab to do research under my direct supervision.
- Fang Y. The adrenal. Clin Endocrinol Surg. 1999;257-314 (Book).
- Fang Y, Zang M., Chen S., Di X. The expression of cytochrome P-450c17α-hydroxylase mRNA in adrenocortical adenomas and hyperplasia from patients with primary aldosteronism. Basic & Clin Med 2000;20:30-3.
- Fang Y. Urologic laparoscopy. 21st Century Urologic Operation Diagram. 2001;618-30 (Book).
- Fang Y, Chen Z, Ma L. Clinical and pathological study of adrenal ganglioneuroma. Basic & Clin Med 2001;21:566-8
- Ma L, Huang Y, Fang Y, Jiang H, Song S, Hou X, Yuan J. Laparoscopic adrenalectomy: a report of 8 cases. Chin J Mini Inv Surg. 2002;2:140.
- Wei J, Fang Y, Chen Z, Zhuang S, Chen J. The Diagnosis and Treatment of Familial Pheochromocytoma (Five Cases Report). Acta Acad Med Jiangxi. 2002;42: 68-70.
- Fang Y. The application of laser on urological diseases. Mod Pract Laser Med. 2006;361-76 (book).
- Fang Y, Wei Y, DeMarco V, Chen K, Sharp GC, Braley-Mullen H. Murine FLIP transgene expressed on thyroid epithelial cells promotes resolution of granulomatous experimental autoimmune thyroiditis in DBA/1 mice. Am J Pathol. 2007;170:875-87.
- Fang Y, Yu S, Braley-Mullen H. Contrasting roles of IFN-γ in murine models of autoimmune thyroid diseases. Thyroid 2007;17:989-94.
- Fang Y, DeMarco V, Sharp GC, Braley-Mullen H. Expression of transgenic FLIP on thyroid epithelial cells inhibits induction and promotes resolution of granulomatous experimental autoimmune thyroiditis in CBA/J mice. Endocrinol 2007;148:5734-45.
- Fang Y, Sharp GC, Braley-Mullen H. Interleukin-10 promotes resolution of granulomatous experimental autoimmune thyroiditis. Am J Pathol. 2008;172:1591-602.
- Fang Y, Braley-Mullen H. Cultured murine thyroid epithelial cells expressing transgenic FLIP are protected from Fas-mediated apoptosis. Endocrinol 2008;149:3321-9.
- Fang Y, Sharp GC, Yagita H, Braley-Mullen H. A critical role for TRAIL in resolution of granulomatous experimental autoimmune thyroiditis. J Pathol. 2008;216:505-13.
- Shi BB, Li HZ, Zhao L, Sun Q, Fan H, Li HJ, Li YQ, Fang Y. Paraneoplastic pemphigus caused by Castleman’s Disease masquerading as an adrenal neoplasm. J Clin Endocrinol and Metab. 2009;94:1841-2.
- Fang Y, Zhao L, Yan F, Xia X, Xu D, Cui X. Escin improves sperm quality in male patients with varicocele-associated infertility. Phytomed 2010;17:192-6.
- Fang Y, Chen K, Jackson D, Sharp GC, Braley-Mullen H. Eosinophil infiltrate thyroids, but have no apparent role in induction or resolution of experimental autoimmune thyroiditis in IFN-γ-/- mice. Immunol 2010;129:329-37.
- Fang Y, Zhao L, Yan F. Chemokines as novel therapeutic targets in autoimmune thyroiditis. Recent Patents on DNA & gene sequence 2010;4:52-7.
- Fang Y, Zhao L, Yan F, Xia Y, Cui X, Duren A. A critical role of surgery in the treatment for paraneoplastic pemphigus caused by Castleman’s Disease. Med Oncol 2010;27:907-11.
- Fang Y, Zhao L, Yan F, Zang M., Chen S, Di X, Duren A. A dispensable role for P-450scc in the overproduction of aldosterone in aldosterone-producing adenomas and nodular hyperplasia in patients with primary aldosteronism. Pathol and Oncol Res, 2010;16:589-92.
- Fang Y, Yu S, Ellis J, Sharav T, Braley-Mullen H. Comparison of sensitivity of Th1, Th2 and Th17 cells to Fas-mediated apoptosis. J Leuc Biol. 2010;84:1019-28 (JOURNAL COVER)
- Yu S, Fang Y Sharp GC, Braley-Mullen H. Transgenic expression of TGF-β on thyrocytes inhibits development of spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis and increases T regulatory cells in thyroids of NOD. H-2h4 mice J ImmunoL. 2010;184:5352-9.
- Fang Y, Zhao L, Parker CA, Yan F, Zhang C. Modulation of apoptosis: new opportunities for drug discovery to treat autoimmune thyroiditis. Recent Patents on Infla & Allergy Drug Discovery. 2010;4:255-60
- Yu S, Fang Y, Sharav T, Sharp GC, Braley-Mullen H. CD8+ T cells induce thyroid epithelial cell hyperplasia and fibrosis J Immunol. 2011;186:2655-62.
- Fang Y, Zhao L, Yan F, Cui X, Zhou F. Strategy for treating simple testicular cyst in adults. Am JMen’s Health. 2011;5:193-7.
- Fang Y, Zhao L, Chen S, Cui X, Zang M., Chen S, Di X. Expression of P-450c11β in adrenal aldosterone-producing adenomas and nodular hyperplasia tissues Clin Lab 2011;57:245-51.
- Fang Y, Nicholl MB. SIRT1 and tumorigenesis: foes or friends? Cancer Lett 2011;306:10-4
- Xia X, Fan L, Xia X, Fang Y. Uterine rupture during pregnancy Clin and Exp Obs and Gynecol 2011;38:286-7.
- Fang Y, Sharp GC, Braley-Mullen H. Effect of transgenic overexpression of anti-apoptotic FLIP on resolution of experimental autoimmune thyroiditis. Am J. Pathol 2011;79:1211-20.
- Fang Y. Editorial Comment from Dr. Fang to Increased expression of CYP17 and CYP11B1 in subclinical Cushing’s syndrome due to adrenal adenomas Int J Urol 2011;18:697-9.
- Fang Y, Yu S, Braley-Mullen H. TGF-β promotes proliferation of thyroid epithelial cells by downregulation of P21 and P27 via AKT pathway in IFN-γ-/- mice The Am J Pathol 2012;180:650-60.
- Fang Y, Shi B, Wang Y. An adrenal mass and ulcerating skin rash. Diagnostic Dilemmas: Images in endocrinology 2011,10-12 (book, Editor: Leonard Wartofsky)
- Fang Y, Herrick EJ, Nicholl MB. A possible role for perforin and granzyme B in resveratrol enhanced radiosensitivity of prostate cancer. J Androl 2012;33:752-760
- Cui X, Zhao L, Chen S, Guan T, Herrick EJ, Shi B, Zang M, Chen S, Fang Y. A potential role for CPY17 as a parameter in differentiation between aldosterone-producing adenoma and nodular hyperplasia in patients with hyperaldosteronism. Urol 2012;79:1410.e15-9
- Fang Y, DeMarco VG, Nicholl MB. Resveratrol enhances radiation sensitivity in prostate cancer by inhibiting cell proliferation and promoting cell senescence and apoptosis. Cancer Science 2012, 103:1090-8.
- Shi BB, Chen C, Li HZ, Rong S, Huang ZM, Fan H, Wen J, Ji ZG, Fang Y. Correlation between Surgical Modality and Clinicopathologic Characteristics for Ureteral Transitional Cell Carcinoma Clinl Trans Oncol 2012, 14:321-16
- Fang Y. Editorial Comment from Dr Fang to Polymorphic variation of CYP11B2 predicts postoperative resolution of hypertension in patients undergoing adrenalectomy for aldosterone-producing adenomas. Int J Urol. 2012;19:821-2
- Fang Y, Moore BJ, Cook KM, Herrick EJ, Nicholl MB. A potential role for resveratrol as a radiation sensitizer for melanoma treatment. J Surg Res, 2013 183:645-53
- Kayes T, Fang Y, Yu S, Downey E, Wang S, Braley-Mullen H. Agonistic anti-CD40 induces thyrocyte proliferation and promotes thyroid autoimmunity by increasing CD40 expression on thyroid epithelial cells J. Immunol, 2013;190:3928-38.
- Fang Y, Moore BJ, Q Bai, Cook KM, Herrick EJ, Nicholl MB. Hydrogen peroxide enhances radiation induced apoptosis and inhibition of proliferation in melanoma cells Anticancer Res. 2013;33:1799-807.
- Fang Y, Nicholl MB. A dual role for Sirtuin 1 in tumorigenesis. Curr Pharm Des 2014;20:2634-6.
- Nicholl MB, Ledgewood CL, Chen X, Bai Q, Qin C, Cook KM, Herrick EJ, Diaz-Arias A, Moore BJ. Fang Y. IL-35 promotes pancreas cancer growth through enhancement of proliferation and inhibition of apoptosis: evidence for a role as an autocrine growth factor. Cytokine. 2014;70:126-33
- Qin C, Chen X, Bai Q, Davis MR, Fang Y. Factors associated with radiosensitivity of cervical cancer. Anticancer Res. 2014;34:4649-56.
- Davis MR, Zhu Z, Hansen DM, Bai Q, Fang Y. The role of IL-21 in immunity and cancer.Cancer Lett. 2015;358:107-14
- Wang QH, Ji ZG, Chen ZG, Li HZ, Fan H, Fan XR, Shi BB, Fang Y. Serum CA 19-9 as a good prognostic biomarker in patients with bladder cancer. Int J Surg. 2015;15C:113-6.
- Fang Y, Chen X, Bai Q, Qin C, Mohamud AO, Zhu Z, Ball TW, Ruth CM, Newcomer DR, Herrick EJ, Nicholl MB. IL-9 inhibits HTB-72 melanoma cell growth through upregulation of p21 and TRAIL J Surg Oncol. 2015;111:969-74
- Mannino MH, Zhu Z, Xiao H, Bai Q, Wakefield MR, Fang Y. The paradoxical role of IL-10 in immunity and cancer. Cancer Lett. 2015;367:103-7
- Wang QH, Ji ZG, Li HZ, Fan H, Chen ZG, Shi BB, Fang Y. Clinicopathologic Comparison of Urothelial Bladder Carcinoma in Young and Elder Patients. Pathol Oncol Res. 2016;22:67-70
- Xu DH, Zhu Z, Wakefield MR, Xiao H, Bai Q, Fang Y. The role of IL-11 in immunity and cancer. Cancer Lett. 2016;373:156-63.
- Davidson KT, Zhu Z, Fang Y. Phytochemicals in the Fight Against Cancer. Pathol Oncol Res. 2016;22:655-60.
- Chen Z, Ji Z, Wang Q, Shi B, Shou C, Liu C, Fan H, Li H, Davidson KT, Wakefield MR, Ball TW, Fang Y. Expression of γ-Synuclein in Bladder Carcinoma: A Possible Marker for Prognosis. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:951-6.
- Qin C, Luo G, Du M, Liao S, Wang C, Xu K, Tang J, Li B, Zhang J, Pan H, Ball TW, Fang Y. The clinical application of laparoscope-assisted peritoneal vaginoplasty for the treatment of congenital absence of vagina. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2016;133:320-4.
- Nicholl MB, Chen X, Qin C, Bai Q, Zhu Z, Davis MR, Fang Y. IL-32α has differential effects on proliferation and apoptosis of human melanoma cell lines. J Surg Oncol. 2016;113:364-9.
- Ciornei RT, Hong SH, Fang Y, Zhu Z, Braley-Mullen H. Mechanisms and kinetics of proliferation and fibrosis development in a mouse model of thyrocyte hyperplasia. Cell Immunol. 2016;304-305:16-26.
- Ding VA, Zhu Z, Xiao H, Wakefield MR, Bai Q, Fang Y. The role of IL-37 in cancer. Med Oncol. 2016;33:68
- Zhu Z, Davidson KT, Brittingham A, Wakefield MR, Bai Q, Xiao H, Fang Y. Trichomonas vaginalis: a possible foe to prostate cancer. Med Oncol. 2016;33:115.
- Kelm NE, Zhu Z, Ding VA, Xiao H, Wakefield MR, Bai Q, Fang Y. The role of IL-29 in immunity and cancer. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2016;106:91-8.
- Yin L, Yan L,He B, Fang Y, Liu X, Duan C, Yu H, Peng K, Wang Q, Cheng J. The toxic effects of a plasticizer, dibutyl phthalate, on rat testis. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2016;9:11246-53
- Fang Y, Zhao L, Xiao H, Cook KM, Bai Q, Herrick EJ, Chen X, Qin C, Zhu Z, Wakefield MR, Nicholl MB. IL-33 acts as a foe to MIA PaCa-2 pancreatic cancer. Med Oncol. 2017;34:23.
- Zhao L, Li H, Zhu Z, Wakefield MR, Fang Y, Ye Y. Genomic sequencing of a strain of Acinetobacter baumannii and potential mechanisms to antibiotics resistance. Infect Genet Evol. 2017;50:20-4.
- Xu DH, Zhu Z, Xiao H, Wakefield MR, Bai Q, Nicholl MB, Ding VA, Fang Y. Unveil the mysterious mask of cytokine-based immunotherapy for melanoma. Cancer Lett. 2017;394:43-51.
- Lin J, Zhu Z, Xiao H, Wakefield MR, Ding VA, Bai Q, Fang Y. The role of IL-7 in immunity and cancer. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:963-7.
- Li H, Bai G, Zhang X, Shi B, Liu D, Jiang H, Ji Z, Davis MR, Zhu Z, Fang Y. Effects of two different dosages of sildenafil on patients with erectile dysfunction. Am J Mens Health. 2017;11:525-30.
- Ding VA, Zhu Z, Mantz AA, Xiao H, Wakefield MR, Bai Q, Fang Y. The Role of IL-37 in Non-Cancerous Diseases. Pathol Oncol Res. 2017;23:463-70
- Xu DH, Zhu Z, Fang Y. The effect of a common antibiotics doxycycline on non-healing chronic wound. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2017;18:360-4
- Ding VA, Zhu Z, Steele TA, Wakefield MR, Xiao H, Balabanov D, Fang Y. The novel role of IL-37 in prostate cancer: evidence as a promising radiosensitizer. Med Oncol. 2017;35:6.
- Davidson KT, Zhu Z, Balabanov D, Zhao L, Wakefield MR, Bai Q, Fang Y. Beyond Conventional Medicine – a Look at Blueberry, a Cancer-Fighting Superfruit. Pathol Oncol Res. 2018;24:733-8
- Chen X, Lu K, Timko NJ, Weir DM, Zhu Z, Qin C, Mann JD, Bai Q, Xiao H, Nicholl MB, Wakefield MR, Fang Y. IL-33 notably inhibits the growth of colon cancer cells. Oncol Lett. 2018;16:769-74.
- Zhu Z, Zhao L, Brittingham A, Bai Q, Wakefield MR, Fang Y. Trichomonas Vaginalis Inhibits HeLa Cell Growth Through Modulation of Critical Molecules for Cell Proliferation and Apoptosis. Anticancer Res. 2018;38:5079-86.
- Manning AA, Zhao L, Zhu Z, Xiao H, Redington CG, Ding VA, Stewart-Hester T, Bai Q, Dunlap J, Wakefield MR, Fang Y. IL-39 (Metrnl) acts as a friend to pancreatic cancer. Med Oncol. 2018;36:12.
- Chen X, Lu K, Timko NJ, Weir DM, Zhu Z, Qin C, Mann JD, Bai Q, Xiao H, Nicholl MB, Wakefield MR, Fang Y. IL‑33 notably inhibits the growth of colon cancer cells. Oncol Lett. 2018, 16:769-74
- Liu X, Hansen DM, Timko NJ, Zhu Z, Ames A, Qin C, Nicholl MB, Bai Q, Chen X, Wakefield MR, West G, Fang Y. Association between interleukin‑33 and ovarian cancer. Oncol Rep. 2019;41:1045-50.
- Davidson KT, Zhu Z, Bai Q, Xiao H, Wakefield MR, Fang Y. Blueberry as a Potential Radiosensitizer for Treating Cervical Cancer. Pathol Oncol Res. 2019;25:81-8
- Schroeder AC, Xiao H, Zhu Z, Li Q, Bai Q, Wakefield MR, Mann JD, Fang Y. A Potential Role for Green Tea as a Radiation Sensitizer for Prostate Cancer. Pathol Oncol Res. 2019;25:263-8.
- Wang G, Wang Q, Huang Q, Chen Y, Sun X, He L, Zhan L, Guo X, Yin C, Fang Y, He X, Xing J. Upregulation of mtSSB by interleukin-6 promotes cell growth through mitochondrial biogenesis-mediated telomerase activation in colorectal cancer. Int J Cancer. 2019;144:2516-28
- Cheng J, Zhao L, Shi T, Zhu Z, Sham NO, Xiao H, Bai Q, Wakefield MR, Ye Y, Fang Y. A Clinical Diagnostic Dilemma: a Case Report of Primary Hepatic Tuberculosis. Clin Lab. 2019;65(3).
- Chang AJ, Zhao L, Zhu Z, Boulanger K, Xiao H, Wakefield MR, Bai Q, Fang Y. The Past, Present and Future of Immunotherapy for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma. Anticancer Res. 2019;39:2683-7.
- Balabanov D, Zhao L, Zhu Z, Hunzeker ZE, Tonner HM, Ding VA, Wakefield MR, Bai Q, Fang Y. IL-29 Exhibits Anti-Tumor Effect on Pan-48 Pancreatic Cancer Cells by Up-regulation of P21 and Bax. Anticancer Res. 2019;39:3493-8.
- Qin C, Luo G, Luo X, Lifschutz BN, Zhu Z, Fang Y. Analysis of the artificial vaginal microecology in patients after laparoscopic peritoneal vaginoplasty. Sci Rep. 2019;9:8482
- Lee JE, Zhu Z, Bai Q, Brady TJ, Xiao H, Wakefield MR, Fang Y. The Role of Interleukin-9 in Cancer. Pathol Oncol Res. 2020;26:2017-2022
- Yang W, Zhao L, Tang M, Jiang Y, Zhu Z, Brady TJ, Xiao H, Bai Q, Wakefield MR, Fang Y. Disseminated nocardia infection in an old male patient with nephrotic syndrome Clin Lab 2020;1:66
- Xu DH, Cullen BD, Tang M, Fang Y. The Effectiveness of Topical Cannabidiol Oil in Symptomatic Relief of Peripheral Neuropathy of the Lower Extremities. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2020;21:390-402.
- Kou L, Zhu Z, Redington C, Bai Q, Wakefield M, Lequio M, Fang Y. Potential use of kiwifruit extract for treatment of melanoma. Med Oncol. 2021;38:25
- Kaser EC, Zhao L, D’Mello KP, Zhu Z, Xiao H, Wakefield MR, Qian Bai Q, Fang Y. The Role of Various Interleukins in Acute Myeloid Leukemia. Med Oncol. 2021; 9;38:55
- Zhao L, Huang L, Signaigo NJ, Zhai K, Zhu Z, Sarris MD, Wakefield MR, Yang W, Fang Y. A COVID-19 young male patient with pneumonia and liver injury. Clin Lab 2021;67(9)
- D’Mello KP, Zhao L, Kaser EC, Zhu Z, Xiao H, Wakefield MR, Bai Q, Fang Y. The Role of Interleukins and The Widely Studied TNF-α in Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. Med Oncol. 2021; 9;38:56
- Xiao H, Alisic H, Reiman BT, Deng Z, Zhu Z, Givens NT, Bai Q, Tait A, Wakefield MR, Fang Y. IL-39 reduces proliferation and promotes apoptosis of bladder cancer by altering the activity of Cyclin E and Fas. Anticancer Res. 2021;41:2239-2245
- Sham N, Qin C, Zhu Z, Redington CG, Xiao H, Bai Q, Wakefield MR, Kou L, Fang Y. Raspberry Extract With Potential Antitumor Activity Against Cervical Cancer. Anticancer Res. 2021;41:3343-3348.
- Zhao L, Willson CM, Givens NT, Zhu Z, Wakefield MR, Wang Y, Yang W, Fang Y. A rare case of ciliated muconodular papillary tumor accompanied with adenocarcinoma in situ. BMC Pulm Med. 2021;21:223.
- Bai Q, Hunzeker ZE, Zhu Z, Lequio M, Willson CM, Xiao H, Wakefield MR, Fang Y. Cranberry Extract Is a Potent Radiosensitizer for Glioblastoma. Anticancer Res. 2021;41:3337-3341.
- Zhu Z, Parikh P, Zhao H, Givens NT, Beck DB, Willson CM, Bai Q, Wakefield MR, Fang Y. Targeting immunometabolism of neoplasms by interleukins: A promising immunotherapeutic strategy for cancer treatment. Cancer Lett. 2021;518:94-101.
- Kou L, Zhu Z, Fajardo E, Bai Q, Redington C, Xiao H, Lequio M, Sham N, Wakefield MR, Fang Y. Harnessing the Power of Kiwifruit for Radiosensitization of Melanoma. Anticancer Res. 2021;41:5945-5951.
- Zhu Z, West GR, Wang DC, Collins AB, Xiao H, Bai Q, Mesfin FB, Wakefield MR, Fang Y. AFP peptide (AFPep) as a potential growth factor for prostate cancer. Med Oncol. 2021;39(1):2.
- Liu X, Shang X, Wang X, Zhou F, Lequio M, Signaigo N, Fang Y, Chen X. Morphological Practical Teaching Platform Improves the Outcome of Anatomy Laboratory Teaching. Int J Morphol, 2021;39:1395-1398
- Johnson BD, Zhu Z, Lequio M, Powers C, Farjardo E, Bai Q, Xiao H, Wakefield MR, Fang Y. SARS-CoV-2 spike protein inhibits growth of prostate cancer: a potential role of the COVID-19 vaccine killing two birds with one stone. Med Oncol. 2022;39:32
- Collins AB, Zhao L, Zhu Z, Givens NT, Wakefield MR, Fang Y. Impact of COVID-19 on male fertility. Urology 2022;164:33–39
- Kaser EC, Lequio M, Zhu Z, Hunzeker ZE, Heslin AJ, D’mello KP, Xiao H, Qian Bai, Wakefield MR, Fang Y Ovarian cancer immunotherapy en route: IL9 inhibits growth of ovarian cancer and upregulates its expression of Ox40L and 4-1BBL. Eur J Gyn Oncol.2022;43:163-168
- Xiao H, Deng Z, Hough JT, Chen X, Zhu Z, Lee J, Dominguez A, Shi T, Schmidt J, Bai Q, Wakefield MR, Fang Y The Effect of Asparagus on Pancreatic Cancer: An Intriguing Surprise. Anticancer Res. 2022;42: 2425-2432
- Givens NT, Zhao L, Zhu Z, Lequio M, Xiao H, Johnson BD, Bai Q, Mark R. Wakefield MR, Fang Y. Mangosteen Inhibits Growth and Survival of Cervical Cancer Cells. Anticancer Res. 2022;42:2903-2909
- Sham N, Zhao L, Zhu Z, Roy TM, Xiao H, Bai Q, Wakefield MR, Fang Y. Immunotherapy for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: Current Agents and Potential Molecular Targets. Anticancer Res 2022;42:3275-3284
- 2021-2022 Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence (College of Osteopathic Medicine, Des Moines University)
- 2020-2021 Distinguished Faculty Research Award of the Year (Des Moines University)
- 2020-2021 Basic Science Faculty of the Year (College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Medicine, Des Moines University)
- 2018-2019 Faculty training most DO students in research of the year (Des Moines University).
- 2014-2015 Basic Science Faculty of the Year (College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Medicine, Des Moines University)
- 2014-2015 Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence (College of Osteopathic Medicine, Des Moines University)
- 2008 Life Sciences Week of University of Missouri 2008 Image winner (1st place)
- 2008 Junior Faculty Travel Awards by the American Association of Immunologists
- 2006-2008 Helen Mullen Travel Awards
- 2002-2003 L’Oreal Research Fellowship Awards (Paris, France)
- 2001 Young Clinical Expert in Urology of Beijing
- 2001 Young Clinical Expert in Urology in Peking University Health Science Center