515-271-1649 (Office Phone)
Areas of Expertise
|Postdoctoral Training, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Dallas, Texas|
|Postdoctoral Training, Georg-August-University of Gottingen, Department of Medicine, Center of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Gottingen, Germany|
|Ph.D., Physiology, Universities of Bari (Italy) and Zurich (Switzerland)|
|M.S., Biology, University of Bari, Bari, Italy|
Biomedical Research Interests:
Salt and fluid handling is an essential physiologic function in mammals for body fluid maintenance and blood pressure regulation. An efficient salt and fluid re-absorption is accomplished by a complex integrated array of epithelial sodium ion transporters. Among these the activity of the Na+/H+ exchanger-3 (NHE3) in the brush border membrane of the renal and intestinal epithelium is of fundamental importance to preserve salt and fluid homeostasis; hence, to preserve health.
By using state-of-the-art physiological, biochemical and molecular approaches, our laboratory aims to understand the molecular mechanisms and transduction signaling that regulate epithelial sodium ion transport. Emphasis is given to NHE3 regulation upon physiological stimuli (e.g. hormones such as adenosine and protein kinase activation) or pathophysiological conditions (e.g. hypertension and hypoxia/ischemia). Our scientific goal is to develop a mechanistic understanding of the physiology and pathophysiology primarily associated with salt and fluid handling.
- Di Sole F and Babich V. New Insight into Adenosine Receptor Control of Salt and Fluid Homeostasis. MOJ Cell Science & Report 2016, 3(2): 00052
- Abbattiscianni AC, Favia M, Mancini MT, Cardone RA, Guerra L, Monterisi S, Castellani S, Laselva O, Di Sole F, Conese M, Zaccolo M, Casavola V. Correctors of mutant CFTR enhance subcortical cAMP-PKA signaling through modulating ezrin phosphorylation and cytoskeleton organization. J Cell Sci. 2016 Mar 15; 129(6): 1128-40
- Babich V, Vadnagara K, Di Sole F. Dual effect of adenosine A1 receptor activation on renal O2 J Cell Physiol. 2015 Dec; 230(12): 3093-104
- Babich V and Di Sole F. The Na+/H+ exchanger-3 activity requires ezrin binding to phosphoinositide and its phosphorylation. PLoS One. 2015 Jun 4; 10(6): e0129306.
- Babich V, Vadnagara K, Di Sole F. The biophysical and molecular basis of intracellular pH sensing by the Na+/H+ exchanger-3. FASEB J. 2013 November; 27(11): 4646-4658
- Antelmi E, Cardone RA, Greco MR, Rubino R, Di Sole F, Martino NA, Casavola V, Carcangiu M, Moro L, and Reshkin SJ. ß1 integrin binding phosphorylates ezrin at T567 to activate a lipid raft signalsome driving invadopodia activity and invasion. PLoS One. 2013 Sep 24; 8(9): e75113
- Hu MC, Di Sole F, Zhang J, McLeroy P, Moe OW. Chronic regulation of the renal Na+/H+ exchanger NHE3 by dopamine: translational and post-translational mechanisms. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2013 May; 304(9): F1169-80
- Girardi AC, Di Sole F. Deciphering the mechanisms of the Na+/H+ exchanger-3 regulation in organ dysfunction. Review. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2012; 302(11): C1569-87
- Di Sole F, Vadnagara K, Moe OW, Babich V. Calcineurin Homologous Protein: A multi-functional Ca2+-binding protein family. Review. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2012 Jul; 303(2): F165-79
- Di Sole F, Girardi AC. Uncovering the pathway of sepsis-induced renal tubular dysfunction. Focus on “Basolateral LPS inhibits NHE3 and HCO absorption through TLR4/MyD88-dependent ERK activation in medullary thick ascending limb”. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2011; 301(6): C1290-2
- Di Sole F*, Hu MC*, Zhang J, Babich V, Bobulescu IA, McLeroy P, Rogers TE, Moe OW. Reduction of Na/H Exchanger-3 protein and transcript expression in acute ischemia-reperfusion is mediated by extractable tissue factor(s). Kidney Int. 2011 Oct; 80(8): 822-31. *These authors contributed equally to this work. Selected for the Journal Cover
- Pao AC*, Bhargava A*, Di Sole F, Quigley R, Shao X, Wang J, Thomas S, Zhang J, Shi M, Funder JW, Moe OW, and Pearce D. Expression and role of serum and glucocorticoid regulated kinase 2 in the regulation of Na+/H+ exchanger 3 in mammalian kidney. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2010; 299(6): F1496-1506. *These authors contributed equally to this work
- Bobulescu IA*, Quiñones H*, Gisler SM, Di Sole F, Hu MC, Shi M, Zhang J, Fuster DG, Wright N, Mumby M, Moe OW. Acute regulation of renal Na+/H+ exchanger NHE3 by dopamine: role of protein phosphatase 2A. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2010, 298(5): F1205-F1213. *These authors contributed equally to this work
- Favia M, Guerra L, Fanelli T, Cardone RA, Monterisi S, Di Sole F, Castellani S, Chen M, Seidler U, Reshkin SJ, Conese M, and Casavola V. NHERF1 overexpression-dependent increase of cytoskeleton organization is fundamental in the rescue of F508del CFTR in human airway CFBE41o-cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2010; 21(1): 73-86
- Di Sole F, Babich V, Moe OW. The calcineurin homologous protein-1 increases Na+/H+-exchanger 3 trafficking via ezrin phosphorylation. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 20(8): 1776-1786
- Di Sole F. Adenosine and renal tubular function. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2008; 17(4): 399-407
- Di Sole F, Cerull R, Babich V, Casavola V, Helmle-Roth C, Burckhardt G. Short- and long-term A3 adenosine receptor activation inhibits the Na+/H+ exchanger NHE3 activity and expression in opossum kidney cells. J Cell Physiol. 2008; 216(1): 221-233.
- Favia M, Fanelli T, Bagorda A, Di Sole F, Reshkin SJ, Suh PG, Guerra L, Casavola V. NHE3 inhibits PKA-dependent functional expression of CFTR by NHERF2 PDZ interactions. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006; 347(2): 452-459.
- Bobulescu IA, Di Sole F, Moe OW. Na+/H+ exchangers: physiology and link to hypertension and organ ischemia. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2005; 14(5): 485-494
- Di Sole F, Cerull R, Babich V, Quinones H, Gisler SM, Biber J, Murer H, Burckhardt G, Helmle-Kolb C, Moe OW. Acute regulation of Na/H exchanger NHE3 by adenosine A(1) receptors is mediated by calcineurin homologous protein. J Biol Chem. 2004; 279(4):2962-2974
- Di Sole F, Cerull R, Petzke S, Casavola V, Burckhardt G, Helmle-Kolb C. Bimodal acute effects of A1 adenosine receptor activation on Na+/H+ exchanger 3 in opossum kidney cells. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2003; 14(7): 1720-1730
- Bagorda A, Guerra L, Di Sole F, Helmle-Kolb C, Favia M, Jacobson KA, Casavola V, Reshkin SJ Extracellular adenine nucleotides regulate Na+/H+ Exchanger NHE3 Activity in A6-NHE3 transfectants by a cAMP/PKA-dependent mechanism. J Membr Biol. 2002; 188 (3):249-259
- Di Sole F, Cerull R, Casavola V, Moe OW, Burckhardt G and Helmle-Kolb C. Molecular aspects of acute inhibition of Na+/H+ exchanger NHE3 by A2-adenosine receptor agonists. J Physiol. 2002; 541 (Pt 2): 529-543
- Bagorda A, Guerra L, Di Sole F, Hemle-Kolb C, Cardone RA, Fanelli T, Reshkin SJ, Gisler SM, Murer H, Casavola V. Reciprocal protein kinase A regulatory interactions between cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator and Na+/H+ exchanger isoform 3 in a renal polarized epithelial cell model. J Biol Chem. 2002; 277 (24):21480-21488
- Bruckhardt G, Di Sole F and Helmle-Kolb C. The Na+/H+ exchanger gene family. Review. Nephrol. 2002; 15 (5): S3-21
- 2009 – 2012 – Carl W. Gottschalk Research Scholar Grant – Career Development Award – American Society of Nephrology
- 2009 – Travel Grant – International Society of Nephrology
- 2005 – Travel Grant – Royal Society
- 2003 – 2004 – Postdoctoral Fellowship Award – American Heart Association
- 2003 – Best Abstract Award – International Society of Nephrology
Email Francesca Di Sole