Who benefits from earning an M.P.H. at DMU?
Current professionals – Individuals who are currently employed within public health or the health care system. These individuals often want to earn the M.P.H. to advance with their current employment or to support their leadership role and experiences with formal education.
Career changers – The M.P.H. degree allows students who have work experience in another field to bridge the gap into a successful career in public health.
Recent college graduates – The M.P.H. degree offers significant opportunities for students just out of undergraduate school. With the non-traditional course format, recent grads can use their daytime hours to begin working full or part-time, volunteer with public health organizations, participate in research with M.P.H. faculty and study.
Clinical dual degree students – Clinical students often find a degree in M.P.H. to be beneficial for their future career. A clinical dual degree prepares the students to work with patients one-on-one, but the M.P.H. prepares students to affect the health of a community.
Graduates are employed in many settings, including:
- Public health departments
- Local, state and federal government
- Schools and research organizations
- Long-term care facilities
- Managed care systems
- Health consulting
- Advanced clinical dental hygienist
- Agriculture specialist
- Chief, preventive medicine training
- Branch manager
- Community health consultant
- Health educator
- Health promotion coordinator
- Medical policy research analyst
- Pediatric injury prevention coordinator
- Podiatric surgeon/assistant clinical professor
- Project manager
- Public health registered nurse supervisor
- Public risk management program specialist
- Senior epidemiologist, program director
- Senior vaccine specialist veterinary toxicologist
- Blank Children’s Hospital
- Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation
- Iowa Department of Public Health
- Johns Hopkins HealthCare LLC
- Marshalltown Medical & Surgical Center
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- North Dakota Department of Health
- Planned Parenthood
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency
- U.S. Federal Aviation Administration
- U.S. National Park Service
- U.S. Public Health Service
- University of Calgary
- U.S. Army
- Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield