515-271-1624 (Office Phone)
Areas of Expertise
|Area of Expertise||
|Professional Organizations, Committees and Boards||
|Doctor of Philosophy – Kinesiology, Biomechanics of Human Movement, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Masters – Kinesiology, Biomechanics of Sports, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Bachelor of Science – Physical Education, University of Athens, Athens, Greece|
The general focus of my research is in the area of human biomechanics and the onset of pathology as related to movement and load. Projects in progress are related to: (1) the differences in gait and balance resulting from change or intervention (e.g., age, rehabilitation protocol, surgery) aiming to understand the relationships between performance of activities of daily living, body structure, external forces and muscle function and pathology in individuals with advanced hip and knee osteoarthritis; (2) the intact foot function during activities of daily living (gait, stair ascend/descent, sit-to-stand); and (3) the shoulder joint function during physiological movements performed under the various constrains of workplace, gravity and bodysuits.
- Mahoney J, So E, Stapleton D, Renner K, Puccinelli A, Vardaxis VG. (2019) Evaluation of the subtalar joint during gait using 3-D motion analysis: Does the STJ achieve neutral position? The Foot and Ankle Online Journal 12 (1): 4
- Wolfe J, Wolfe J, Smith K, Yoho R, Vardaxis VG. (2018) A Strategic Plan for Increasing Scholarly Activity among Medical Students, Residents, and Faculty. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 108(4): 292-303.
- Mahoney J, Vardaxis VG, Anwar N, Hagenbucher J. (2018) Differences in Faculty and Standardized Patient Scores on Professionalism for Second Year Podiatric Medical Students During a Standardized Performance Assessment Laboratory. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 108(2): 145-150.
- Yoho RM, Mirbey J, Vardaxis VG (2017) Measuring Student Confidence in the Clinical Training through Self-assessment. J Health Sci Educ 1(1): 102.
- McClinton S, Collazo C, Vincent E, Vardaxis VG. (2016) Intrinsic and Extrinsic Foot Muscle Performance and Association with Orthotic Use in Individuals with Plantar Heel Pain: A Matched Case-control Study. JOSPT 46(8):681-688
- Yoho RT, Vardaxis VG, Millonig K. (2016) Relationship Between Academic Performance and Student Self-Assessment of Clinical Performance in the College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery. JAPMA, 106(3):214-217
- Mahoney J, Vardaxis VG, Anwar N, Hagenbucher J. (2016) Relationship between Faculty and Standardized Patient Assessment Scores of Podiatric Medical Students during a Standardized Performance Assessment Lab. JAPMA 106(2):116-120
- Ryba D, Ibrahim N, Choi J, Vardaxis VG. (2016) Evaluation of Dorsal Lisfranc Ligament Deformation with Load Using Ultrasound Imaging. The Foot, 26:30-35
- Yoho RT, Vardaxis VG, Dikis J. (2015) A Retrospective Review of the Effect of Metatarsus Adductus on Healing Time in the Fifth Metatarsal Jones Fracture. The Foot, 25:215-19
- Petersen SM, Vardaxis V.G. (2015) The flexion-rotation test performed actively and passively: a comparison of range of motion in patients with cervicogenic headache. J Man Manip Ther.
- Graves, N., Rettedal, D., Marshall, J., Frush K., & Vardaxis V.G. (2014) Ultrasound Assessment of the Dorsal Lisfranc Ligament Strain under Clinically Relevant Loads. JAPMA 104(1):11-18
- Rettedal, D; Marshall, J; Graves, N; Frush, K; & Vardaxis, V.G. (2013) Reliability of the use of ultrasound in the assessment of the dorsal Lisfranc ligament. J Foot Ank Res 6:7
- Marshall, J; Graves, N; Rettedal, D; Frush, K; & Vardaxis, V.G. (2013) Ultrasound assessment of bilateral symmetry in dorsal Lisfranc ligament. J Foot Ank Surg 52(3):319-23
- Yoho R, Rivera J, Renschler R, Vardaxis V, & Dikis J. (2012) A biomechanical analysis of the effects of low-Dye taping on arch deformation during gait. The Foot 22:283-286
- Yoho R, Carrington S, Dix B, Vardaxis V. (2012) The Association of Metatarsus Adductus to the Proximal Fifth Metatarsal Jones Fracture. The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery, 51(6):739-742.
- Mahoney, J., Vardaxis, V.G., Moore, J., Hall, A., Haffner, K., Peterson, M. (2012) Topical Ketamine Cream in the Treatment of Painful Diabetic Neuropathy: A Randomized, Placebo-controlled, Double-blind Initial Study. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 102:178-183.
- Greenhagan, R., Wukish, D., Jung, R., Vardaxis V.G., Yoho, R. (2012) Peripheral and central bone mineral density in Charcot’s neuroarthropathy compared to diabetic and nondiabetic populations. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 102:213-222.
- Peterson K, Jedlicka N, Vardaxis V.G., & Yoho R. (2010) Radiographic Analysis of Haglund’s Deformity: An Evaluation of NCSP and RCSP. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 100:78-79.
- Nguyen T, Lang A, Bennett J, & Vardaxis V.G. (2010) Load Deformation Evaluation of Lateral Radiographic Foot Measurements. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 100:83-85.
- Yoho R, Vardaxis VG & Comstock K (2010). Admission characteristics and academic performance of podiatric and osteopathic medical students at Des Moines University. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association 100:69-72.
- Buchanan PA & Vardaxis VG (2009) Lower Extremity Strength Profiles and Gender-Based Classification of Basketball Players Ages 9-22 Years. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 23(2): 406-419.
- Madsen MS, Ritter MA, Morris HH, Meding JB, & Berend ME. Vardaxis VG (2004). The effect of total hip arthroplasty surgical approach on gait. Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 22(1) 44-50.
- Buchanan PA & Vardaxis VG (2003). Hamstrings and quadriceps ratios do not reflect gender differences in ACL rates in competitive youth basketball players. Journal of Athletic Training, 38(3): 231-237.
- Earles DR, Vardaxis VG & Koceja D (2001). Regulation of motor output between young and elderly subjects. Clinical Neurophysiology, 112(7): 1273-1279.
- Haehl V, Vardaxis VG, & Ulrich B (2000). Learning to cruise: Bernstein’s theory applied to skill acquisition during infancy. Human Movement Sciences, 19: 685-715
- Vardaxis VG, Allard P, Lachance R & Duhaime M (1998). Classification of able-bodied gait using 3-D muscle powers. Human Movement Sciences, 17, 121-136.
- Vardaxis VG & Hoshizaki TB (1989). The use of mechanical power analysis in understanding and coaching sport skills: Sprinting. Biomechanics in Sports, V, 57-67.
- Vardaxis VG & Hoshizaki TB (1988). Power patterns of the lower limb during the recovery phase of the sprinting stride of advanced and intermediate sprinters. International Journal of Sport Biomechanics, 5, 332-349. Later renamed to: Journal of Applied Biomechanics
- Distinguished Scholar Award, Des Moines University, Des Moines, IA (2006, 2013)
- Distinguished Researcher Award, Des Moines University, Des Moines, IA (2011)
- Outstanding Dedication Award, College of Podiatric Medicine, Des Moines University (2007)
- Outstanding Junior Faculty Award, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN (2002)
- Trustees Teaching Award (TTA), Indiana University, School of HPER, Bloomington, IN (2001)
Email Vassilios Vardaxis