|Areas of Expertise|
My current research includes the evaluation, design and analysis of health education disease prevention (HPDP) programs. I currently have several implementations of such evaluations. One is called the Iowa Healthy Link program and is jointly funded by the Area Agency on Aging and the National Coalition on Aging.
Other projects that are in various stages of development include the analysis of infant mortality patterns and the incidence of sudden infant deaths, the investigation of ecological factors that impact a community’s health and the use of secondary health data for monitoring of population health.
I am also involved with a study that investigates the relationships between environmental factors that may be contributing to the concentration of water contaminants.
Selected peer-reviewed publications
- United States Guild Certified Feldenkrais Teachers®: a survey of characteristics and practice patterns Patricia A. Buchanan, Nicole L. Nelsen and Simon Geletta: BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2014, 14:217 doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-14-217
- “Administrator Turnover and Quality of Care in Iowa Nursing Homes” With Paula J. Sparks “Annals of Long Term Care” (In press)
- “Enterococcus in surface waters from the Des Moines River (Iowa) watershed: Location, persistence and vancomycin resistance” With B. Larsen, M. Essmann and B. Duff. “International Journal of Environmental Health Research” 305-16. November 2011.
- “The Role of Institutional Selectivity in the Prediction of Podiatric Medical School Performance” With Kevin Smith, DPM, PHD “Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association” Vol 100 No 6 November/December 2010
- “A Comparison of Vitamin D Levels in Nondiabetic and Diabetic Patient Populations” With Robert M. Yoho, DPM, MS, Jill Frerichs, DPM, Nicholas B. Dodson, DPM and Robert Greenhagan, DPM “Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association” Vol 99 No 1 January/February 2009
Research Abstracts and Presentations
- “Interactive Dashboard Reports for Program Evaluation Reports” A paper presentation at the annual conference of the American Evaluation Association, Minneapolis, MN. November 2012.
- “The Case for Digital Epidemiology” a poster presentation at the annual conference of the American Public Health Association, Denver, CO. November 2010.
- “The Geography of Water Quality in Central Iowa”, a presentation at the biennial consortium of the Midwestern Association of Geographic Information Councils”, April, 2008.