Lisa Streyffeler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Program
Associate Professor, Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences Program
- Tucker, J.R., Seidman, A., Van Liew, J., Streyffeler, L., Brister, T., Hanson, A., & Westfield, S.. Effect of contact-based education on medical student barriers to treating severe mental illness: A non-randomized, controlled trial. Academic Psychiatry (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40596-020-01290-1
- Lannin DG, Tucker JR, Streyffeler L, Harder S, Ripley B & Vogel DL. How Medical Students’ Compassionate Values Influence Help-Seeking Behaviors. Teaching and Learning in Medicine. 2019 Apr-May;31(2):170-177. doi: 10.1080/10401334.2018.1522259 Epub 2019 Jan 7.
- Hoff G, Hirsch NJ, Means JJ, Streyffeler L. A Call to Include Medical Humanities in the Curriculum of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine and in Applicant Selection. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association. 2014;114:798-804.
- Streyffeler L, Altmaier EM, Kuperman S, Patrick, LE. Development of a medical school admissions interview. Phase 2: Predictive validity of cognitive and non-cognitive attributes. Medical Education Online. 2005;10(1):4379. doi: 10.3402/meo.v10i.4379.
- Streyffeler LL, McNally RJ. (1998). Fundamentalists and liberals: Personality characteristics of Protestant Christians. Personality and Individual Differences. 1998;24(4):579-580.
- Van Liew J, Streyffeler L, Young L. Education in equitable, inclusive care for diverse patients: An updated, competency-based approach. Poster presented at American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) Annual Conference; April 28, 2022, Denver CO. [Best Faculty Poster Awardee]
- Van Liew, J, Streyffeler L. Improving Student Readiness to Effectively Care for Diverse Populations. Presentation at 2021 American Medical Association ChangeMedEd virtual conference, Sept. 29, 2021.
- Tucker, JR, Streyffeler, L, Brister T. Contact-based education & barriers to treating severe mental illness: A non-randomized, controlled trial. Presentation at 2019 Learn, Serve, Lead Annual Conference of the American Association of Medical Colleges, Nov. 12, 2019.
- Tucker JR, Streyffeler L, Seidman A, Brister T. Effect of Contact-Based Education on Medical Student Barriers to Treating Severe Mental Illness: A Non-randomized, Controlled Trial. Poster presented at Association of Directors of Medical Student Education in Psychiatry 2019 Annual Conference; June 21, 2019; Portland, ME. [Best Poster, Research Division, awardee]
- Tucker JR, Streyffeler L, Brister T, Seidman S, Hanson A, Westfield S. A Pilot Study of the NAMI Provider Education Program at a College of Osteopathic Medicine. Poster presented at American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) 2019 Annual Conference, Apr. 11, 2019; Washington DC. [Best Faculty Poster Awardee]
- Huppert P, Streyffeler L. Integrating NAMI Provider Education into Med School Training: Why and How. Invited presentation given at the 2018 Annual Mental Health Conference; October 1, 2018; Des Moines, IA.
- Bridges T, Hudson AB, Larrauri CA, Streyffeler L, Surgenor P. NAMI Ask the Expert, Live. Invited panelist for session at: National Alliance on Mental Illness Convention, June 29, 2018; New Orleans, LA.
- Brister T, Huppert P, Streyffeler L. Evolution of a dream team: How NAMI Iowa and Des Moines University partnered to enhance the training of medical students. Talk presented at: National Alliance on Mental Illness Convention, June 30, 2018; New Orleans, LA.
- Tucker J, Berrett S, Suleskey A, Kavanaugh M, Brunia A, Spindler A, Cartwright S, Streyffeler L. Mental Health Help-Seeking in Medical Students: A Conceptual Model and Stigma-Reduction Curriculum. Talk presented at: Association of Directors of Medical Student Education in Psychiatry 2018 Annual Conference; June 16, 2018; Minneapolis, MN.
- Huppert P, Streyffeler L. Integrating NAMI Provider Education into Med School Training: Why and How. Invited talk given at the Iowa Hospital Association-Behavioral Health Affiliate of Iowa Summer Conference, June 15, 2018; Des Moines, IA.
- Streyffeler L, Shaw RD, Moore T, Drilling M, Wimsatt L. Using Technology to Stay Up Close and Personal with Students at Distant Clerkship Sites. Talk presented at American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine 2018 Annual Conference; April 18, 2018; Washington DC.
- Streyffeler L, Miller C. Use of Story Circles Experience with Entering Medical Students. Poster presented at: Association of Directors of Medical Student Education in Psychiatry 2017 Annual Conference; June 16, 2017; Santa Ana Pueblo, NM.
- Streyffeler, L. Communication: How Do We Do It Better for the Patient? Invited talk given at Upper Midwest Osteopathic Health Conference; May 4, 2017; Des Moines, IA.
- Streyffeler L, Wimsatt L. Curricular and Co-Curricular Initiatives to Improve Student Wellness. Talk presented at: American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine 2017 Annual Conference; April 26, 2017; Baltimore, MD.
- Mandell M, Streyffeler L. Psychotherapy during pregnancy and postpartum: Common issues and helpful approaches. Workshop presented at the University of Minnesota Medical School 5th Annual Psychiatry Review, “Women’s Mental Health Across the Lifespan;” September 27, 2004; Minneapolis, MN.
- Streyffeler L, Altmaier EM. Relationships with and Experiences of G-d from a Jewish Perspective. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association; August 2001; San Francisco, CA.
- Streyffeler L. Explicit integration of religious issues into therapy. Presentation in: Emerging Client-Centered Issues in the New Millennium, roundtable discussion session at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association; August 2000; Washington, DC.
- Streyffeler L. Theological Conservatism and Personality Traits in a Jewish Population. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association; August 2000; Washington, DC.
- Streyffeler LL, Kuperman S. Helping Doctors to Become Better Interviewers. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association; August 1999; Boston, MA.
- Paul Emmans Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award, Des Moines University, 2021
- Dean’s Award for Outstanding Community Service, Des Moines University, 2019
- Fellow, National Academy of Osteopathic Medical Educators, 2019-2024
- Dean’s Award for Outstanding Leadership and Service, Des Moines University, 2018
- DMU Multicultural Affairs Diversity Champion Award, 2016