Donald Matz, Ph.D.
Chair and Professor, Master of Science in Anatomy Program
Professor, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Program
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Gary Lienhart D.O., Donald Matz, PhD. (2021) Des Moines University Cadaveric study tracking dye spread after cervical erector spinae block with low volumes for potential treatment of a variety of chronic neck pain conditions in the outpatient setting. Completed in 2021 and currently working on publication: Low Volume Cadaveric Cervical Erector Spinae Injection and Dissection to the Cervical Nerve Roots.
- Matz, D. G., J. O. Oberpriller and J. C. Oberpriller. (1998) Comparison of Mitosis in Binucleated and Mononucleated Newt Cardiac Myocytes. The Anatomical Record, 251:245-255.
- C. Canby, K. Hisley, G. Kolbinger, C. Stanton, V. Vardaxis, D. Matz, and M. Khan. Real-time interactive fusion of physical/electronic auscultation simulation and 3D CT/MRI-based anatomical modeling applied to training in lung sounds detection, discrimination and classification. The FASEB Journal, 2008, Abstract # 769.11
- M.A. Khan, D.G. Matz, C.A. Canby, W.J. Dyche, and K.C. Hisley. An advanced anatomy dissection lab environment combining physical dissection with digital dissector and real-time video display. The FASEB Journal, 2008, Abstract # 385.1. Invited Platform Presentation.
- PS Lacy, W Dyche, DG Matz, (2006) Unannounced quizzes improve performance on neuroanatomy course. The FASEB Journal 20(4), p. A434.
- M Khan, DG Matz. (2006) Absence of left coronary artery in a cadaveric heart. The FASEB Journal 20(4), p A445.
- S Vadivelu, EP Finnerty, K Reed, S Mori, WT Thack and DG Matz. (2005) Assymetric Three-Dimensional Morphology of Dentate White Matter Pathways. The FASEB Journal 19(4): A487.4
- Canby, CA, DG Matz, and MA Khan. (2005) Incidence of a duplicated inferior vena cava. The FASEB Journal 19(4): A198.6
- Khan, MA, DG Matz, and C Canby. (2005) Dorsalis pedis artery: variations in branching patterns. The FASEB Journal 19(4): A198.5
- Canby, Craig and Donald Matz. (2004) Center for Learning Advancement of the Structural Sciences (CLASS), The FASEB Journal, Abstract 300.12.
- Matz, Donald, Craig Canby and Makhdoom Khan. (2004) Incidence of Retroesophageal Right Subclavian Artery Occurs Less Frequently than Published Results, The FASEB Journal, Abstract 313.2.
- Khan, Makhdoom, Donald Matz and Craig Canby. (2004) Variations of Axillary Artery Branching Pattern, The FASEB Journal, Abstract 313.1.
- Matz, Donald Gregory. (2003) A Living Anatomy Laboratory Further Integrates a Traditional Anatomy Course with a Clinical Profession. The FASEB Journal, Abstract 35.18: T18
- Matz, Jeannine M. and Donald G. Matz (2003). No Significant Difference Between Grant-Aided and Traditional Nursing Student Performance in the Basic Sciences. The FASEB Journal. 534.9:T83
- Matz, Donald Gregory. (2001) Utilization of the Internet and Cross-Sectional Anatomy Online to Educate Students During Their Clinical Rotations. The FASEB Journal, 15 (5): A721.
- Matz, D. G., J. O. Oberpriller and JC. Oberpriller. (1992) Characterization of the Cytoskeleton of the Dividing Newt Cardiac Centriculomyocyte. Anat Rec., 232: 57A.
- Matz, D. G., J. O. Oberpriller and J. C. Oberpriller. (1994) The Cytoskeleton in the Cultured Newt Ventriculomyocyte. The FASEB Journal, 89 (5): A260.
- Matz, D. G. J. O. Oberpriller and J. C. Oberpriller. (1995) Mitosis in the Cultured Newt Ventricular Myocyte. The FASEB Journal, 9 (4): A828.
- Oberpriller, J. O., J. C. Oberpriller, D. G. Matz and M. H. Soonpaa. (1994) Stimulation of Proliferative Events in the Adult Amphibian Cardiac Myocyte. IN: Cardiac Growth and Regeneration. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 752: 30-46.
- AACPM Council of Faculties, Curricular Guide for Podiatric Medical Education. Member of Authoring group from its inception in 2009 and currently editing the 2022 edition. Website of the 2020 edition: https://aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2020-AACPM-Curricular-Guide-4.pdf
- David A Plundo, DO, MPH, FACOFP; Terri L Plundo, DO, FACOFP, Donald Matz, Ph.D; Incorporating Basic Sciences into Residency Curriculum Using an Inter-professional Grand Rounds Format. The 7th International Conference on Inter-professional Practice and Education, Pittsburgh, PA, June 7, 2014
- Des Moines University Grand Round Presentations
- Haas, Hilary, Anna Johnson, and Donald Matz. THE ANSWER IS IN THE ANATOMY: HOW OMM ALTERED THE COURSE OF RECOVERY FROM RECURRENT SUBDURAL HEMORRHAGES, March 7, 2019
- Ripley, Brett, Drew Lewis, Shannon Petersen, and Donald Matz. PAIN IN THE NECK, October 4, 2018
- Benzoni, Thomas, Sarah Clayton, Dopnald Matz, Noreen o’Shea, Julie Ronnebaum, and Sean Van Aken. WHY SIM IS DANGEROUS: WHEN A MEDICAL STUDENT DEVELOPS CHEST PAIN, November 2, 2017
- Brown, Michelle, Vassilios Vardaxis, and Donald Matz. WHERE IS PHYSICAL THERAPY IN THE MANAGEMENT OF A PATIENT POST TOTAL HIP ARTHROPLASTY?, March 2, 2017
- Feilmeier, Mindi, Paul Dayton, Laura Covill, and Donald Matz. THE CRUX OF ANKLE STABILITY: BONE OR SOFT TISSUE, February 2, 2017
- Aoki, Teresa, Craig Clark, and Donald Matz. A TIMELY CASE OF SHORTNESS OF BREATH, November 5, 2015
- Rand, Joel and Donald Matz. AN ASYMMETRICAL SITUATION: BELL’S PALSY, October 1, 2015
- Ripley, Bret, Donald Matz, and Shane McClinton. LOW BACK PAIN: THE PRIMARY CARE DOCTOR’S SCOURGE, September 3, 2015.
- Figueroa, Jose and Donald Matz. PATIENT WITH PARSONAGE TURNER SYNDROME’S RESPONSE TO OMM, May 7, 2015
- O’Shea, Noreen, Michelle Brown, and Donald Matz. HIP PAIN IN A YOUNG ADULT, March 5, 2015
- Robel, Juanita, Julie Ronnebaum and Donald Matz. MENDED HEART, December 4, 2014
- Ripley, Bret, Shannon Petersen, and Donald Matz. PAIN IN THE NECK, November 6, 2014
- Green, Thomas, Drew Lewis, and Donald Matz. HEAD INJURY REHABILITATION,
September 4, 2014
- Malcom, Mary, Roberta Baldus and Donald Matz. UPPER EXTREMITY TRAUMA, May 1, 2022.
- Feilmeier, Mindi, Donald Matz, and Juanita Robel. VENOUS STASIS ULCERATION: IT’S NOT JUST SWELLING ANYMORE, April 3, 2014
- Figueroa, Joe and Donald Matz. ADULT MALE WITH CHRONIC PELVIC PAIN, February 6, 2014
- Baldus, Roberta, Elizabeth Trausch, and Donald Matz. “MY PARTNER MADE ME COME HERE”, ADULT MALE WITH CHRONIC FECAL INCONTINENCE. December 5, 2013
- Ripley, Bret, Donald Matz, and Shane McClinton. LOW BACK PAIN: THE PRIMARY CARE DOCTOR’S SCOURGE, November 7, 2013
- Shah, Yogesh, Laura Covill, and Matz, Donald. UPPER BACK & VERTEBRAE: 60 YEAR OLD MALE WITH ACL DEFICIENT KNEE, October 3, 2013
- Means, Jeffrey, Donald Matz, Teri Plundo, and Traci Bush. MULTIDISCIPLINARY CASE STUDY: FEMALE IN EARLY 30’S PRESENTS WITH PANIC ATTACKS, September 5, 2013
- Matz, Donald. (1992) Immunofluorescent Localizations in the Newt Heart. 9th Annual UND/UM Anatomy Exchange Day.
- Matz, Donald. (1998) Regenerative Capabilities of Cardiac Muscle in Notophthalmus viridescens. Drake – UOMHS Lecture Series.
- Matz, Donald and C.J. Carlson. (Four presentations in March and May of 1998) The Body Donor Program at the University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences. Veterans Administration Medical Center (VMAC), Knoxville and Des Moines, IA.
- Matz, Donald and CJ Carlson. (January 27, 1999) The Body Donor Program at the University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences. Rights and Choices You Need to Know at the Osceola Senior Center, Osceola, IA
- Matz, Donald and C.J. Carlson. (Three presentations, June 2, 1999) The Body Donor Program at the University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences. Coronary Intensive Care Unit, Iowa Lutheran Hospital, Des Moines, IA.
- Matz, Donald and C.J. Carlson. (October 1, 1999) The Body Donor Program at the University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences. Health Care Managers at the Health Education Center, Fort Dodge, IA.
- Matz, Donald, Craig Canby and Makhdoom Khan. (2004) Incidence of Retroesophageal Right Subclavian Artery Occurs Less Frequently than Published Results, April 17, 20004 at the American Association of Veterinarian Anatomists’ Poster and Discussion Session at Experimental Biology ’04 in Washington DC.
- 2007- Invited Speaker at the Commencement for the Master’s Degree Physician Assistant Program at Des Moines University’s Graduation Ceremony, Class of 2007, August 18, 2007
- College of Osteopathic Medicine Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence 2012
- Classes of 2016, 2013, 2011, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2001, 1999, 1998 – Physician Assistant Pre-clinical Faculty Award
- Classes of 2019, 2004, 2002 – Iowa Podiatric Medical Student Association Pre-Clinical Teaching Award
- Class of 2004 – D.O. Pre-Clinical Teaching Award
- 2005-2006 – Mercy College of Health Sciences, Adjunct Faculty Excellence Award
- 2006 – Des Moines University Summer Professional Medical Institute Service and Support Award
- 2006 – Nominated for the Northrup Educator of the Year Award at the Student Osteopathic Medical Association National Convention