Provider Profile: Meet Dr. Jose Figueroa

Jose Figueroa, D.O.

Name:
Jose S. Figueroa, D.O.

Title:
Clinician/Assistant Professor

Clinic:
Osteopathic Manual Medicine Clinic

Undergraduate School:
Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa

Medical School:
University of Osteopathic Medicine and the Health Sciences, Des Moines, Iowa

Internship:
Des Moines General Osteopathic Hospital, Des Moines, Iowa

Residency:
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan

Additional Degrees/Training:
Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine and Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (NMM/OMM)

What Attracted Me to Osteopath Manual Medicine (OMM):
I saw the osteopathic principles work on me firsthand when I was a medical student sick with bronchitis, and regular medicine alone did not help. The principles were applied skillfully on to treat my bronchitis that was lingering strong after being treated with regular medical practice. When OMM was applied, it helped me feel better immediately and cough enough to get a sputum sample. This was cultured and the bacteria that was discovered needed a different antibiotic.

While I was still a student I also saw OMM work on patients with common diseases. I saw OMM work on my family, friends, neighbors and people I did not know. I also saw it help with musculoskeletal issues like pain in joints, pain in the spine, nerve injuries, etc.

By far, what I see is that if OMM has helped a physician or a student, or someone in their family, they are the ones who tend to gravitate towards using it, teaching it or referring their patients to physicians who practice it.

Specialty:
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation

Conditions I Treat:

• Nerve injuries
  • Pain in any area of the muscles, bones, joints and spine
  • Decreased function due to pain or severe musculoskeletal conditions

How Osteopathic Manual Medicine Can Benefit Patients:
It is an integral part of the medicine that we should be practicing. The musculoskeletal (bones, muscles, nerves, joints, etc.) part of our body reacts to disease, injury and emotional states just like other organs do. If we evaluate and treat the “other” organs only with medicine, surgery, rest, work restrictions, etc., we only treat the patient partially. The complete diagnosis of the patient’s medical condition always includes the musculoskeletal reaction to the disease, plus the damaged or injured tissue or altered mental state.

How I Spend My Free Time:
Spending time with my family and friends, playing harmonica, exercising, watching nature firsthand, learning about principle-based psychology and learning new things.

Health Advice to Live By:
Calm your mind, eat just the right amount, keep moving and have someone evaluate and treat your musculoskeletal system with OMM, especially when you are sick, injured or in pain.

Disclaimer: This content is created for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.