Alumni spotlight: Ricardo E. DeNapoli, D.O.’74

Ricardo DeNapoli
Ricardo E. DeNapoli, D.O.'74

Professional background

I am a primary care physician with the Solano County PUblich Health Department in Fairfield, CA, and provide services to the uninsured and underinsured. I serve as the medical “safety net” for the county’s residents. I was part of the first group of osteopathic physicians to “re-enter” California after the state paid the pre-existing D.O.s to become M.D.s and put a measure in place not to allow any more D.O.s to practice in the state. The osteopathic profession was readmitted to California in 1974–75. After finishing my internship in 1975, I sat for the osteopathic board and passed my licensure. I was a lone D.O. in my first few jobs, but after working alongside my allopathic colleagues, I was accepted as an equal. That was 36 years ago, and now osteopathic physicians are accepted and recognized as the competent, caring physicians that we are without discrimination. In the previous multi-specialty group where I had worked since 1984, the D.O.s were some of the most outstanding physicians practicing.

Favorite thing about my job

Being able to help a segment of the population with poor access to medical care.

Why I stay involved with DMU

I feel it is important to stay connected with colleagues who I have grown up with in the osteopathic profession.

Advice to those just starting out in the profession

You became a physician to help people, and you need to remind yourself why you chose this profession. It is an honor to help your fellow man.

Hobbies

Music, golf, exercise, and fitness.