“Did Emmit Smith or Jerry Rice win ‘Dancing with the Stars’?”

The other night, a pretty serious debate erupted with one of my (male) colleagues concerning this monumental question. After going back and forth for a couple minutes, he mockingly told me, “Google it.” I have developed a reputation of being a “Google Goddess.” I am completely comfortable with this labeling as Googling is indeed one of my favorite pastimes.

My recreational Googling solves quite a few quandaries. How do you spell “rendezvous”? Forget spell-check. Google is faster and easier. If you don’t spell it right in your search, the first thing that pops up is a spelling suggestion. What is the date of Easter this year? Ditch the calendar. There’s a 50/50 chance it won’t be identified. Google it instead. Where is Waukee? Google. A map will be the first thing that pops up. How can I get more info on that JT from “Survivor”? Grrrrrrr… Google.

People are in fact my favorite thing to Google. If I know you, I’ve Googled you. A lot of times my searches yield insignificant results, but sometimes I get valuable information. When meeting someone new, after an introduction and brief exchange of pleasantries, I’ve been known to ask, “If I Googled you, would you be important?” I don’t think this kind of questioning is inappropriate. It’s no better or worse than Facebooking an acquaintance without their knowing. I like to forewarn others of the cyber-investigation that will take place after meeting.

I think Google gets a bad rap, especially by those involved in academia. My class was recently assigned a research project on the arthrokinematics and osteokinematics of ankle equinus. [Google it] Our professors have gone to great lengths to ensure we are able to find articles and other materials to complete the project. We have had presentations by the university librarians on how to use research databases such as CINAHL, EBSCOhost, MedLine and PubMED. We have been provided examples of books and papers that may be useful. In their attempts to assist our research, no one mentioned Google. In fact, our professors and the librarians have made it clear that Googling is NOT an acceptable method of attaining information. For me not to use Google when looking for something is like turning my back on an old friend who has a car and is willing to drive when I need a ride. So OF COURSE I have used Google to find applicable articles (shhh… don’t tell anyone). And guess what? My searches on Google have produced the exact same articles my peers have found through CINAHL, EBSCOhost, MedLine, and PubMED. This is scientific proof that Googling is not so bad when it comes to finding scholarly articles.

My love for Google will never subside. I know the further and further into school I get, the more and more useful Google will become. I encourage everyone to take time to Google each day. It will answer your questions and put a smile on your face.

By the way it was Emmit Smith who won “Dancing with the Stars.” My MALE colleague was right. Rest assured, he has received much deserved ridicule from me for knowing this.