Being a Des Moines University student definitely has its perks. Here are a few that you may not be aware of:
- Free bus pass – You can use your DMU ID badge as a bus pass to ride the DART bus system for free!
- Free speaker events – Many clubs, organizations and departments will bring in outside speakers to present on a variety of topics. Take advantage of attending these events, as they not only relate to academia, but to you personally as a future health care provider. The noon and evening meetings will at times provide something to eat, and all will provide a wealth of knowledge. Be on the lookout for events as they happen most days of the school-week.
- Free stuff – There is a wide variety of amenities available to students on campus. You just have to know where to look! There’s an ice machine in the student lounge. Microwaves and fridges are located throughout campus for your convenience. You can play free games of ping pong, foosball and pool in the game room. There is a paper shredder by the Help Desk, as well as an outgoing mailbox. And almost every water fountain has a convenient “hydration station” for easy refills of your water bottles.
- Mail drops – There are outgoing mailboxes by the Help Desk and Matthews Bookstore. You can also buy postage or stamps and ship packages at the bookstore, saving you a trip to the post office!
- ASICS discount – Podiatry students receive fall and spring catalogs for ASICS footwear and receive a 40% discount on those select shoes!
This post was adapted from “Recipes for Success,” a guidebook put together by D.P.M. students for all incoming students in the hopes of getting them on the right track once they get to DMU.