Provider Profile: Meet Kathryn Cardamon

Kathryn Cardamon, M.P.T.Name:
Kathryn Cardamon, M.P.T.

Title:
Physical Therapist

Clinic:
Physical Therapy Clinic

Undergraduate School:
University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa

Medical School:
University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa

Additional Degrees/Training:
Certified Myofascial Trigger Point Therapist

What Attracted Me to Physical Therapy:
I was initiated into the world of physical therapy when my son, who is now an adult, required long-term treatment after experiencing a cerebral hemorrhage as an infant. The physical therapy intervention he received has enabled him to be able to walk and function now at a much higher level than was prognosed.

Clinical Interest:
I have had specialized training in the treatment of pelvic floor muscle dysfunction. I am working on completion of a Professional Yoga Therapist certification.

Conditions I Treat:

• General orthopedics
  • Pelvic floor muscle dysfunction (including urinary dysfunction, bowel dysfunction and pelvic pain)
  • Chronic pain

How My Expertise Can Benefit Patients:
Musculoskeletal dysfunction can control our lives. Physical therapy intervention addresses pain in soft tissues, muscle weakness and loss of range of motion, as well as how activities are performed by the individual. A program of specific and individualized exercise and manual therapy can be developed and implemented to reduce problems. Education in corrective actions and techniques to avoid reoccurring problems is often a crucial component in rehabilitation and recovery

How I Spend My Free Time:
I am a member of the Polk County Master Gardeners. I have my own garden and help out at community gardens as well. This year I was involved in setting up the Discovery Garden at the fairgrounds. I am planning my garden for next year and thinking about what plants I will start at home in February for next year’s garden.

I also love to read and play the piano. Pilates and yoga are my favorite kinds of exercise.

Health Advice to Live By:
“When it comes to eating right and exercising, there is no ‘I’ll start tomorrow.’ Tomorrow is disease.” — Terri Guillemets

Disclaimer: This content is created for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.