CelebrAsian!

ca-1CelebrAsian was Saturday. I look forward to this time of year because it’s when all of the Asian people come out and you can eat Asian food and see traditional performances from all the Asian culture. There were vendors representing Thai, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and so much more.

ca-3I did my rounds getting bubble tea (also known as pearl tea and tapioca – see picture). This drink is such a treat and my all time favorite tea flavors include Thai tea, taro tea and jasmine almond tea. Sounds exotic? It’s very popular wherever there’s an Asian population – even here in Des Moines! You must try it but do be careful, those pearls are meant to be chewed before swallowing. (Chewing your drink…who would have ever thought?)

ca2The biggest treat of the event was to see our very own faculty member, Dr. Luke Mortensen, spend time at the festival drawing out Korean characters for folks. He is always smiling and it was so nice to see a familiar face in the blur of crowds. It is really great to see faculty outside of school and enjoying themselves at these community events.

*stomach growling* I think I ate too much…good times!