Helping hands

If you’ve read my posts over the last year or so you know how proud we are of our students’ community service work. But it’s time I took a minute to brag on my fellow employees as well!

Our Community Service Committee and HR developed a policy, now in practice, that allows staff and faculty 40 hours of paid time throughout a year to spend on community service. These hours can be divided up among the mentoring program with our partner schools or various projects arranged by the committee. DMU benefits were already terrific but this bonus is awesome. Many of our employees already do community service on their own time but some things have to happen during business hours and now we can partake in those projects. YAY!

One of the first activities our committee organized was a few shifts to work on a local Habitat for Humanity home. The day the marketing dept. went to help it was a lil chilly and suuuuper muddy but we all actually learned some skills, got stuff done and had a great time together. It was the 5 in our department – Kendall, Julie, Seth, Barb & me –plus Terri from radiology, Nancy from community relations, Josh from admissions and Bill, VP of planning and external relations. Way to go team!

Here’s a Register article about the family that gets the house.