A Newcomer’s Perspective

Interested in learning more about Des Moines University? I was in your shoes about seven or eight months ago. I know what you’re thinking – her title says “Admission Coordinator,” so how could she have been in my shoes? Well, while you’re looking at DMU as a potential school, I was looking at DMU as a potential employer! Graduating from college in May was a scary step towards the dreaded adulthood, and moving away from the “small-town” Iowa life I’d always known was pretty scary. But, after six months of living in Des Moines and working for Des Moines University, I can say I’m happy with my choices!

I moved into an apartment in Des Moines right across the street from DMU in June. It’s a nice, safe neighborhood and it’s very cost-efficient for my DMU PT-Student roommate and me. Not only do we save on gas by not driving to work/class, but we’re also close enough so we can grab an extra 10 minutes of sleep each morning instead of commuting in (although I hear the commute in DSM isn’t bad!) or run home for a quick lunch in the middle of a long day.

Now, I know you’re all probably more interested in the students’ daily life than mine. While I can’t give you the rundown of what each day is like, I can give you my observations after being here on campus every day and interacting with students regularly. Graduate school is hard and you all know that. There are days before a test where you can feel the stress on campus… but you can also feel the camaraderie. There are students hanging out in every nook and cranny of the Student Education Center in small groups working together to iron out those last few problems or lecture points. It can be difficult to get a spot in our programs, but once you do, I think you’ll find a welcoming and collaborative atmosphere.

Being a university focused on healthcare, many of our students make use of our Wellness Center most every day. I almost feel out of place on my elliptical machine without a stack of lecture notes or diagrams to be looking over like all the students around me. But not every minute of every day is consumed with studying! There are also evenings in the Wellness Center where I can barely hear my TV show on the cardio theatre because an intramural volleyball game has heated up!

Well, I’d best get back to work processing applications and replying to emails; but, I hope you’ve gained a little better idea of what campus feels like and what to expect when you step onto campus. To form your own opinions, the best advice I can give you is to come visit us and we’ll do our best to set you up with a current student as your tour guide!

Jean Shelton
Admission Coordinator