DMU Alumni Board welcomes two new members

Two distinguished members of the Class of 2011, both graduates of the College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery, will join the DMU Alumni Board of Directors this spring. Marc D. Jones, D.P.M.’11, FACFAOM, and Brian T. Dix, D.P.M.’11, FACFAS, will fill open positions on the board and will then begin full three-year terms on July 1.

Brian Dix, D.P.M.’11, FACFAS

Brian T. Dix has practiced as a foot and ankle surgeon with Avera Orthopedics in Sioux Falls, SD, since March 2017. After graduating from DMU, he completed a 36-month foot and ankle surgery residency at the Western Pennsylvania Hospital in Pittsburgh, PA.

Dix has written numerous peer-reviewed foot and ankle surgery papers and in 2016 co-authored a chapter in the textbook Complications in Foot and Ankle Surgery: Management Strategies. He also is a current member of the case review committee for the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery and a scientific poster judge for the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgery.

“I chose to join the board as DMU and specifically the College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery provided me with the knowledge and skillset to obtain an amazing residency and help patients every day surgically and to surgically improve their quality of life,” he says. “I hope by serving on the board, I can help other doctors, who feel the same way I do, to give back to help the new students get the best education possible, just as we were afforded.”

Dix and his wife, Amy, live in Sioux Falls and are parents to their daughter, Stella.

Marc Jones, D.P.M.’11, FACFAOM

Marc D. Jones is the lead staff podiatrist at the Mann-Grandstaff Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Spokane, WA. He serves in multiple leadership positions at the hospital including graduate medical education director for the department of surgery, podiatry clerkship director, and chair of the Prevention of Amputation in Veterans Everywhere Committee. He is also a clinical assistant professor at DMU, Washington State University College of Medicine, Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences and Kent State University. 

Jones is an author of six peer-reviewed publications, being lead author on four of those. He also is a peer reviewer for the Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association. He has lectured at major state and national podiatric conferences.

Prior to his current position, Jones completed a podiatric medicine and surgery residency at Madigan Army Medical Center in Tacoma, WA. He was chief resident and graduated with an added reconstructive rearfoot and ankle surgery certificate.

“As a board member, I want to help other DMU alumni who live in the Northwest, and not just podiatric graduates, feel more connected to the University. I want to give them a voice,” he says. “I’ve always been very appreciative of the education I got at DMU and the doors that were opened to me.”

He wants his board membership to benefit students as well. “In my work I’m pretty involved with medical students, D.O.s and M.D.s as well as podiatric students,” he says. “I’m interested in being involved with educating the next generation of health care providers.”

Jones and his wife, Rebecca, live in Spokane and are the parents of four children. In his free time, he coaches soccer and enjoys being in the outdoors with his family doing rock climbing, backpacking and camping.