Provider Profile: Meet Dr. Shane McClinton

Shane McClinton, D.P.T.Name:
Shane McClinton, D.P.T., OCS, FAAOMPT, CSCS

Title:
Physical Therapist/Assistant Professor

Clinic:
Physical Therapy Clinic

Undergraduate School:
Gustavus Adolphus College, Saint Peter, Minnesota

Medical School:
Des Moines University, Des Moines, Iowa

Additional Degrees/Training:
Board Certified in Orthopaedic Physical Therapy (OCS)
Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Physical Therapists (FAAOMPT)
Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)

What Attracted Me to Physical Therapy:
Physical therapy intrigued me because physical therapists manage issues related to the physical performance of the human body. The field has a very hands-on aspect to care and provides the potential to dramatically impact an individual’s life through conservative measures.

Clinical Interest:
I have received clinically-related specialty training in orthopaedic, sports and manual therapy.

Conditions I Treat:
My clinical emphasis is on the management of endurance athletes (e.g. runners, cyclists, triathletes) and persisting pain conditions such as low back, neck and foot pain. Currently, my research is focused on examining characteristics associated with plantar heel pain and exploring the functional outcomes and cost-effectiveness of early referral to a physical therapist following initial presentation to a podiatrist in individuals with plantar heel pain.

How My Expertise Can Benefit Patients:
My physical therapy practice area is in orthopaedic physical therapy. In this arena, physical therapy can provide conservative alternatives to, or compliment, surgery, injections and medication to help resolve a number of problems including pain, surgical recovery or limitations in daily or recreational functions.

How I Spend My Free Time:
I try to spend as much time with my family as possible. My wife, two boys and I enjoy any outdoor activity including biking, hiking, outdoor exploration, running, baseball, volleyball, football and golf.

Fun Fact:
There have been only two years of my life where I have not been enrolled in an institutional-associated educational program since I started pre-school. I truly epitomize the eternal student. Since graduating from college, I went right into PT school and then had a year “off” before starting my PPDPT. The PPDPT was followed by fellowship training, and then another year “off” before starting the Ph.D. program that I am currently in. They say that the Ph.D. is a terminal degree, so my options are running out to keep this streak going.

Health Advice to Live By:
“If you do not take time to exercise, at some time, you will have to take the time for injury.”
Some time ago, I saw this written on the white board outside of the office of our wellness staff and it is very fitting to the field of physical therapy and many patients that may end up at our doors. I think this is applicable not just to the physical domain, but also our emotional and mental health.

Disclaimer: This content is created for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.