Wesley Life partnered with DMU for the 2nd year to host the Fall Prevention Awareness event held on September 14. Michelle Brown, Kathy Mercuris, Tracy Bush and Laura Covill supervised DPT students.
During the three hour event, 75 community dwelling individuals attended and participated in the following:
- Balance screens, home safety checklist/discussion, and the activities-specific Balance Confidence questionnaire provided by D.P.T. students. These results were reviewed with each participant.
- Exercised during a 30 minute Tai Chi class and/or Chair Yoga class.
- Medication reviews and blood pressure screens by Drake University Pharmacy students.
- Obtained information regarding nutrition and the prevention of osteoporosis.
- Viewed a video on fall risk and exercise for prevention.
We also had a resource table with literature for companies in our area who did home modification, and community based exercise classes.