President Franklin reflects on past year

Angela Franklin
President Angela L. Walker Franklin Ph.D.

As I reflect on the past year, my first year as president of Des Moines University, I have come to appreciate the strong relationships the University has developed over the years with our alumni. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the opportunities I have had to network with alumni and look forward to all of the planned activities for the year ahead.

We have had a great year with many accomplishments, one of which was the campus-wide preparation for the visit of the Higher Learning Commission. With the full support of our Board of Trustees, alumni, faculty, staff, students and community leaders, we presented a comprehensive review of our strengths with an accompanying assessment of areas of opportunity. We were pleased with the commendations received regarding our new mission and vision statements, and they applauded our efforts in the launch of a new comprehensive, strategic planning process.

I am pleased to have the president of the Alumni Association Board of Directors, Marcia Hammers, B.H.A.’88, as a member of the strategic planning steering committee. With her help, we will begin setting institutional priorities for the future centered around our new vision statements.

We are proud of all of our alumni and appreciative of all of the support you give us in mentoring the next generation of health care professionals.  The unified alumni board is also a great accomplishment for us as we begin to live our mission as a united,  health sciences university community.