Alumni spotlight: Laurence J. Baker, D.O.’77, FACEP

Larry Baker
Laurence J. Baker, D.O.'77, FACEP

Professional background

I grew up in small-town Iowa. My father was a family practice physician. I was educated at Iowa (go Hawks!) and DMU; my residency was in family practice, but I drifted to emergency medicine early in my career. I just successfully recertified my ABEM boards for the third time, making me close to dinosaur status.

I own a professional staffing company that provides physician and PA emergency medicine coverage for the three hospitals of Iowa Health-Des Moines (Methodist, Lutheran and Methodist West). I also work clinical shifts and serve as the medical director.

Favorite part of my job

In my clinical work I get to care for patients in their moment of crisis, which can make for profoundly-varied experiences. In my administrative work I can affect processes and populations; I call this my highly-leveraged work, as I can affect the experiences of many, as opposed to the clinical days, when I affect one patient at a time.

Why I stay involved with DMU

It is very rewarding to be a part of an enterprise that is so important to the lives of the people that it touches. I am grateful to be part of the winning team that is my DMU.

Advice to those just starting out in the profession

Embrace gratitude!

Hobbies

Average golf, good flying and great times with my wife, family and friends (maybe with a good cigar and a glass of wine).