Alum participates in global health

Craig Thompson, D.O. ’78, a family physician in Strawberry Point and Manchester, Iowa, traveled with DMU’s Global Health Department to El Salvador in March 2009.

Job description: Small town family physician, involved in hospital care, EMS, OB, sports medicine, geriatrics and the county medical examiner.

Background: I was born in Monticello, Iowa, and attended primary school there. I completed my undergrad at the University of Dubuque then medical school at Des Moines University and an internship at Des Moines General. My family includes wife, Julie, five sons, three daughters-in-law and two grandchildren.

Why I chose to be a part of DMU’s global health trip: I was following in my son Jonathan’s, (DMU D.P.M. ’11), footsteps, who had gone on an earlier DMU medical mission. I had planned on doing medical mission for quite a while and this was the best option.

What I enjoyed most about being a part of the global health trip: Working with other providers and students interested in relieving pain and suffering for very grateful people.

Why I would encourage other alumni to get involved in global health with DMU: It reminds you of the basic reason you entered medicine, renews the vitality of it and gives you faith in the future of medicine when given the opportunity to work with the bright, hardworking health care providers of tomorrow.

Advice to those considering a global health adventure: Prepare to see a very different world and yet have much in common with those you care for.

What I learned from my global health experience:
The need is tremendous and we have been given so much. Doing something is better than doing nothing.

Interested? To learn more about global health opportunities contact nicholas.schmit@dmu.edu, call 515-271-1573 or visit www.dmu.edu/globalhealth.