SHARE YOUR MEMORIES WITH US ON SOCIAL MEDIA! | #DMUGRAD22 |
One-Hundred and Twenty-Second Annual Commencement Ceremony
10:00 a.m., Friday May 27, 2022
The doors to Iowa Events Center will open at 8:30 a.m. There is unlimited seating for guests and no tickets are required for the event. The ceremony is approximately 2 ½ hours long.
The history of Des Moines University reflects a continuing commitment to teach, to learn and to serve.
Founded in 1898 as the Dr. S. S. Still College of Osteopathy, the institution has several times undergone changes in name and location to accommodate expanding enrollment and programs of study.
Renamed Still College of Osteopathy in 1905, with a two-year program of instruction, the school continued to grow and prosper. During the 1940s the name was changed to Des Moines Still College of Osteopathy and Surgery, reflecting a broader curriculum of medical studies. During this period, the College Hospital and first clinic building were acquired. These facilities provided enhanced clinical training opportunities for students and additional health care settings through which to serve the community.
In 1958, the institution was renamed the College of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery. The first satellite clinic was established in 1963. In 1971, the Dietz Diagnostic Center, a specialty clinic, began operation as a major outpatient facility.
In 1972, the College moved to its present 22-acre site on Grand Avenue. During the ensuing years, enrollment in the College more than doubled. Since the time of its founding, the College has educated more than 10,000 osteopathic physicians.
Recognizing the need for additional members on the health care team to complement physicians in the delivery of health care, the Board of Trustees in 1981 established the College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery and the College of Health Sciences. These colleges, with the College of Osteopathic Medicine, form the medical and health sciences university.
In 1999, the University was renamed Des Moines University to reflect a strengthened commitment to the Des Moines community and the osteopathic philosophies upon which our traditions are built.
Des Moines University marked a turning point in June 2003 as the oldest buildings on campus were demolished to make way for the Student Education Center, which opened in spring 2005. As the largest building project in the University’s history, the Student Education Center is the hub of campus life. Its primary features are the Wellness Center, Library, Auditorium, Student Commons, and OMM classrooms. The 143,000-square foot building faces Grand Avenue and spans the distance between the Des Moines University Clinic and the Academic Center.