This fall, the Des Moines Register and Workplace Dynamics confirmed what DMU employees already knew: The University is one of Iowa’s 150 “Top Workplaces.”
Based only on employee evaluations, Top Workplaces celebrates those Iowa companies that have the state’s best working environments. The 150 companies and organizations were recognized across the three categories: small, mid-size and large businesses. The Des Moines Register and Workplace Dynamics have conducted the survey annually since 2009.
“Des Moines University is great because of our strong sense of community and collaborative spirit,” says DMU President Angela Walker Franklin, Ph.D. “We fully embrace our core values and demonstrate a commitment to inclusivity and wellness. Focusing on quality, we set a standard for excellence in teaching and learning, and we place the highest priority on respect for the dignity and diversity of the entire campus community. It is truly great because of the people who make us all DMU proud.”
Employees noted the following strengths of the University:
- State-of-the-art facilities that give students exceptional opportunities to learn, practice, collaborate and improve their skills.
- Strong shared governance that gives all employees a stake in the institution’s shared success and involvement in institutional planning.
- Inclusive culture – among numerous honors for its innovative diversity efforts, DMU received the 2015 Institutional Excellence Award of the National Association of Diversity Officers in Higher Education and the 2015 Friends of Iowa Civil Rights Award.
- Community involvement by faculty, staff and students, as evidenced by DMU’s induction in 2016 into the Iowa Volunteer Hall of Fame, the most prestigious state-level recognition of volunteer service.
- Commitment to wellness – DMU is the first and only college or university in the nation to achieve platinum status for its wellness program, the highest honor bestowed by the Wellness Councils of America.
DMU also was named a “2016 Great College to Work For” by The Chronicle of Higher Education based on responses of DMU employees to the publication’s “Great Colleges to Work For®” survey, administered by ModernThink LLC. This year, more than 46,000 faculty and staff at 281 public and private four- and two-year institutions participated in the survey. Of those 281 colleges and universities, only 93 were named a “Great College to Work For.”
Des Moines University is a health sciences university founded in 1898 in Iowa’s capital city. Its mission is to prepare tomorrow’s highly competent and compassionate health care providers, educators and leaders in its eight graduate medical and health sciences degree programs.