DMU President Angela L. Walker Franklin, Ph.D., accepted the Mary McLeod Bethune Award from the Iowa Juneteenth Observance at the organization’s annual Community Builders Appreciation Banquet on June 11.
Named for a pioneering African-American in the field of education who advanced the principle of equality in education, the Mary McLeod Bethune Award honors Iowa pioneers in education serving in positions within primary, secondary and higher education institutions. President Franklin received the award for her extraordinary record of leadership in education and community engagement.
The Mary McLeod Bethune Award is the Iowa Juneteenth Observance’s “educator of the year” award. Past recipients of this prestigious honor are:
- 2014: Kisha S. Smith – George Washington Carver Academy (Waterloo)
- 2013: Jason R. Edwards – Thomas Jefferson High School (Cedar Rapids)
- 2012: Amber Boyd – West Waterloo High School
- 2011: David Maxwell – West Des Moines Public Schools
- 2010: Dr. Vincent Lewis – Des Moines Public Schools
- 2009: No award presentation
- 2008: Marlene Doby – Evelyn K. Davis Early Learning Academy (Des Moines)
- 2007: Dr. Daniel Robinson – Iowa State University
- 2006: Dr. George Jackson – Iowa State University