There are many different places to study on campus, but when there’s a big test or it’s finals, study space can be hard to come by. When every nook and cranny of campus is full and you need a quiet place to cram, head to one of these places:
- Caribou Coffee (3220 Ingersoll Ave) – This is probably the most conveniently located coffee shop in relation to DMU. Take a walk and get your coffee fix or spend the afternoon studying away.
- Mars Cafe (2318 University Ave) – This trendy establishment is located in the Drake neighborhood. They serve food as well and have free Wi-Fi.
- Barnes & Noble (4550 University Ave, West Des Moines) – When you really need to get away from campus, Barnes & Noble has a nice café with the peace and quiet of a library.
- Price Chopper Café (3425 University Ave) – Located right inside the grocery store, you can get your study on within arm’s reach of aisles of snacks.
- Java Joe’s Coffee House (214 4th St) – This coffee shop is located downtown and just might be your niche. With free Wi-Fi and fun board games for those study breaks, it doesn’t get much better than this!
- Smokey Row Coffee Co. (1910 Cottage Grove Ave) – This is a spacious coffee shop that meets everyone’s needs! It serves delicious coffee, food and even ice cream!
- Des Moines Public Library – Central Library (1000 Grand Ave) – This is a beautiful library located downtown — just far enough to get away from school, but close enough to still be convenient. Be sure to check the library’s hours before you go.
- Your residence (wherever that may be) – There’s nothing more convenient than your own home!
This post was adapted from “Recipes for Success,” a guidebook put together by D.P.M. students for all incoming students in the hopes of getting them on the right track once they get to DMU.