Embracing an ever-changing health care environment

Julie Cravens, PPDPT student
Julie Cravens, PPDPT student

Julie Cravens, M.S.P.T., is a physical therapist in the Dallas area who has worked in management roles the past 11 years. She chose to pursue her doctorate in physical therapy, motivated by the American Physical Therapy Association’s 2020 vision as well as her desire to keep up with an ever-changing health care environment.

Cravens says DMU’s PPDPT program is giving her much more than an additional credential. It has provided her with current evidence based knowledge and improved her management skills.

“As a manager, I have to be a resource to my staff, and this program has helped me enhance my knowledge in all areas,” she says.”I currently work as a rehab manager for a CCRC [continuing care retirement community], where we provide both in-patient and out-patient services. Our current rehab staff consists of about 45 therapists, the majority of which are physical therapists. The average age of our patient in 88 years old, and many have multiple co-morbidities. Some of our specialties include our aquatic therapy, oncology and cardiopulmonary programs.”

Cravens says that based on the classes she has taken at DMU, she has been able to provide many educational in-service sessions to her team “to help both challenge and enhance all of our programs” at her CCRC. She has three more courses to complete toward her doctorate.

“Although it has been overwhelming at times to juggle family, work and school, I would highly recommend this program to anyone interested in gaining new knowledge and sharpening their current skills,” she says. “I have thoroughly enjoyed the online as well as the classroom portion of these classes and look forward to graduating.”