Provider Profile: Meet Sharon Johansen

Sharon Johansen, M.S., ATC, PTAName:
Sharon K. Johansen, M.S., ATC, PTA

Title:
Physical Therapist Assistant

Clinic:
Physical Therapy Clinic

Undergraduate School:
Truman State University, Kirksville, Missouri

Additional Degrees/Training:
Master’s Degree in Sports Medicine
Certified Athletic Trainer
Massage Therapy

What Attracted Me to Physical Therapy:
I was working at Virginia Commonwealth University in the Sports Medicine Department.  I spent mornings in the VCU Sports Medicine Clinic in the Physical Therapy Department and afternoons/evenings in the athletic department. While I enjoyed working with the athletes, I found more challenge, variety and satisfaction working with the general orthopedic population. Eventually, I moved to physical therapy full-time as an athletic trainer. I then went to school to get my license as a physical therapist assistant.

Specialties/Clinical Interests:
I still enjoy sports medicine and general orthopedics. A newer interest of mine is working with patients with neurological disorders.

Conditions I Treat:

• General and post-operative orthopedics
  • Knee, foot, ankle and shoulder injuries
  • Neurological conditions

How Physical Therapy Can Benefit Patients:
We can help people find a safe way back to the activities they love, and to avoid future injuries by identifying muscle imbalances or mechanical issues that can increase stresses on a joint.

How I Spend My Free Time:
I love to hike, play guitar, kayak,  read and teach my dog tricks.

Fun Fact:
I have spent a lot of time on various portions of the Appalachian Trail and have hiked most of the southern half, but have not hiked above Massachussets (yet).  I also have my sights on some trails in the northwest that I hope to hike in the next few years.

Health Advice to Live By:
The step out the door to exercise is the toughest step of all. Once you can overcome inertia and get moving, the rest of the workout is relatively easy.

Disclaimer: This content is created for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.