Inauguration scheduled for September 24
Des Moines University (DMU) announces the presidential inauguration of Angela L. Walker Franklin, Ph.D.
Franklin, who became DMU’s 15th president on March 1, 2011, has worked in higher education for more than 20 years. Previously, she was executive vice president and provost at Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tennessee, where she oversaw academic and administrative departments for three schools within the college as well as other departments.
Prior to her role at Meharry, Franklin held several positions at the Morehouse School of Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia, including vice dean, vice president for academic and student affairs, associate dean for student affairs and curriculum, assistant dean for admissions and student affairs, director of counseling services and assistant professor of psychology. She earned her Ph.D. in clinical psychology at Emory University in Atlanta.
The installation ceremony will take place on Saturday, September 24 at 10 a.m. at the Civic Center of Greater Des Moines, 221 Walnut Street. Other inaugural events are scheduled throughout the week, including:
- Speaker series – Tuesday, September 20 – Tuesday, October 4
- Student Leadership Symposium – Thursday, September 22, 1-4 p.m.
- Campus tours – Friday, September 23, 1-4 p.m.
- Campus picnic – Friday, September 23, 5-8 p.m.
- Run DMU 5k Run/Walk – Friday, September 23, 6 p.m.
- Black tie dinner and dance – Saturday, September 24, 6 p.m.