Get to know DMU’s new president

Dr. Franklin filmstrip What do you want people to know about you outside your career?

I grew up in McCormick, a small  rural community in South Carolina. My father is a mortician who owns two funeral homes, and my mother is a retired elementary school teacher. Both were strong advocates for education and insisted on high academic achievement. My sister and I typically spent our summers engaged in various enrichment activities to augment what we got in the public school system. We were fortunate in having parents who were able to provide this additional support. They still live in McCormick and are actively engaged with the community.

What is the best book you’ve read lately? What did you like about it?

In preparation for my role as president of DMU, I found it important that I get a deeper understanding and appreciation for the osteopathic medical profession, so I have been reading the book, The DOs: Osteopathic Medicine in America by Professor Norman Gevitz, which chronicles the history of the profession. I find it fascinating and enlightening!

I also enjoy inspirational and uplifting books and picked up The Book of Awakening: Having the Life You Want by Being Present to the Life You Have by Mark Nepo. It includes a daily message that I have been following.

What is your most treasured possession?

My most treasured possession is my angel collection. I have a preference for Lladro figurines but have acquired all types of angels. I started collecting them about 20 years ago, and now many of my friends and family find very unique and interesting pieces during their travels, which have been welcome additions to my collection. It began with someone giving me one to be my “guardian angel” and has grown from that. So there is a spiritual connection to me and my angels.

What talent would you most like to have that you don’t, and why?

I began taking piano lessons at age 6 and became quite an accomplished musician, adding flute and organ along the way. Music is important to me, and I even insisted on my sons learning to play piano and other instruments as well. As a musician, I always wanted to be able to sing, and I never thought I was ever good enough to do so. I love all kinds of music and admire those who can perform vocally and instrumentally.

What is your favorite guilty pleasure or indulgence?

I typically try to follow a very healthy diet, but my occasional splurge always involves dark chocolate. I actually find it difficult to resist a rich, chewy brownie with nuts.

If you could travel back in time and give the younger Angela Walker Franklin one piece of advice, what would it be?

I think the most important bit of advice I would give “little Angela” would be to keep an open mind to all opportunities and do not feel compelled to do what everyone else thinks you should do. The message would be: “Be yourself, let your own little light shine, laugh, have fun and dream big!”