Best bang for the buck

Iowans have a lot to celebrate!
Iowans have a lot to celebrate!

Happy Monday, ya’ll!!! Hope you all had a great weekend, stayed cozy and are ready for another week.

The Des Moines metro area ranked #4 on Forbes’ new list of best cities for an affordable lifestyle! That’s good to know when you consider moving here to attend DMU.

Another new great report…. Iowa has 2 major metro areas on the list of top ten mid-sized cities for volunteer rate. Iowa City is #2 and Des Moines is #9. Also, between 2006 and 2008, 865,600 people volunteered in Iowa, that’s 37.1% of residents making us #5 in volunteerism amongst all the states + D.C.!!!  Way to go, everybody!

OOOH, also, I forgot I haven’t shared info about the concerts in 2010 I’m excited about… Brandi Carlile is coming to town January 20, The Black-Eyed Peas are coming to Des Moines March 25. George Strait & Reba are coming April 10. (I love Reba!)

Not on my list to probably see but still sure to be good shows, Brad Paisley on Jan 15, Tim McGraw Feb. 13 and on the same date, also in Des Moines, Jo Dee Messina,  AC/DC April 17 & Taylor Swift May 6. Obviously there’s also a ton of smaller or indie bands, and maybe some bands I don’t recognize. But those are a few I know about. Bring on the live tunes!