Tapas review by Tea

And in this week’s series of Tea’s Eating Adventures…

Paul, my boyfriend, and I really enjoy exploring new restaurants in Des Moines. This past weekend, we adventured into the modern day concept of tapas (small dishes) at a place called Trostel’s Dish in Clive. Although the term tapas originates from Spain meaning appetizers, Trostel’s features American, European, Asian, Spanish and Latin inspired foods meant to be sampled in smaller portions.

Between the two of us, we shared six different dishes, which included (ranked from yummy to not-so-yummy):

Tequila Lime Shrimp

BBQ Beef Short Rib

Pommes Frites

Guinness Marinated Skirt Steak

Chicken Chili Rellano (probably Spanish)

Cornmeal Crusted Tilapia with Harissa Sauce

My most favorite dish would have to be between the BBQ Beef Short Rib they slathered in Jack Daniel’s sauce and the Tequila Lime Shrimp that sat on top of a bed of avocado risotto. I have to admit that these dishes weren’t exactly perfect, in that the BBQ beef was unusually salty and the shrimp was quite dry. However, if I had the choice to order a repeat dish, it would definitely be the avocado risotto minus the six puny shrimps that came with it.

My least favorite dishes would be the two from the Spanish menu. The skirt steak was a bit bland and the cornmeal tilapia topped with BBQ-flavored sauce was pretty plain. Well, Paul ate the whole thing so I guess it wasn’t too bad.

I ended up spending around $55 and would probably rank this restaurant as a place you should try at least once. It was a fun atmosphere but I don’t see myself coming here again (unless they offered an all you can eat avocado risotto option, which is unlikely.) The food was pretty though!