Place to go, things to do, people to see

When I was a kid I knew that saying “I’m bored” would mean a chore list from mom – maybe that’s why I’m so adept at finding things to do and never being bored as an adult! But since I tend to hear other people resort to summer boredom, here’s some fun upcoming events to entertain you:

There’s so many fun ways to celebrate the fourth of July. One of my favorites is a trip to the ballpark. Catch the Iowa Cubs at 7:05 p.m. on July 3 and enjoy fireworks post-game!

Another popular 4th tradition in Des Moines is Yankee Doodle Pops, a concert and DM Symphony presentation on the state capitol lawn. Hear patriotic tunes and enjoy a firework show, for free.

I live in Urbandale, a DSM suburb, and let me tell you. This places goes all out for the fourth. Check out the lineup of events!

East of Des Moines, in Altoona, you can catch TWO great firework shows. One on July 3 at 10 p.m. at Prairie Meadows (just find a place to park nearby, sit on your car and enjoy!) and one at 9:45 p.m. on July 4 at Adventureland Amusement Park.

I’ve mentioned it before but don’t forget….this weekend is the exciting 80-35 concert event! And if you can’t fork out the moola to buy tickets, you’re still in luck! There are 2 free stages! Check out Juice’s interactive concert map with lineup!

Blues before sunset runs Fridays, 5:30-7:30 p.m. in front of the historical building. Free to attend, you can purchase cold drinks and food on site. You are encourage to bring a seat and enjoy the live music. NO event July 4th but don’t miss out on the July 11, 18 or 25th or Aug. 1 events.

Also, a little farther out (mark your calendar now!) is the Des Moines Renaissance Faire Aug. 30-31, Sept. 1, 6-7 and 13-14.

have fun!
~Courtney, the marketing girl

photo by webg33k