Congrats again on your offer of acceptance to the D.P.M Class of 2017 at DMU! We’re excited to have you join us in August! Because we know this process can be overwhelming, we’ve put together a quick guide to help you know when and what to expect until orientation in August 2013.
Conditions of enrollment agreement
A copy of your Conditions of Enrollment Agreement is emailed to you shortly following your acceptance. Please read this information carefully and return a signed copy to the admissions office by the deposit deadline and keep a copy for your records. If we have listed transcripts, letters of recommendation, prerequisite coursework or official MCAT scores as outstanding conditions, please be certain you have a plan for meeting these conditions, as your enrollment is contingent upon them. Please contact us if you foresee any issues with completing these requirements by the deadlines.
A non-refundable deposit of $500.00 is required to secure your seat in the class. Please refer to your deadline which is listed on your Conditions of Enrollment Agreement. The seat deposit not only secures your seat in the class, but also opens your account at DMU and is credited towards your tuition.
Things to look for this spring!
DMU Pulse and email
About 2 weeks following the submission of your seat deposit, incoming students will receive information on how to access Pulse (DMU’s intranet) and your DMU email address. This information will be mailed to you (that’s right, snail mail) at the address you provided to us on your AACPMAS application. If you’re planning a move, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your new address. Pulse is your go-to spot for all types of information including:
- Financial aid: Financial aid information is available on Pulse. Your aid package and promissory notes are all electronic and available in July 2013. You can get the process started right now by filling out your FAFSA application. We recommend you wait until you’ve filed your 2012 taxes to get started on your FAFSA. Also, your parent’s tax info is only necessary if you are planning to apply for Pell Grants.
- Background checks: We require all students to complete background checks before enrolling. This helps us – and you – ensure there isn’t anything that could hinder your ability to be licensed to practice medicine. Remember, you are obligated to disclose all convictions and deferred judgments on your application. If you’re not sure if that campus violation was a misdemeanor, it’s best to check into it now. You’ll also complete another background check before rotations. Instructions regarding completion of the background check are posted to Pulse.
- Code: VWYBP-89272
- Physical examination/laboratory tests and immunizations: You must submit current physical examination, certain laboratory tests and immunization records prior to matriculation. Forms available on Pulse.
- Health insurance: Students are required to carry health insurance. Specific details of the health insurance requirements are available on Pulse, and the sign-up/waiver period is June 16-August 1. Students who do not select an option regarding their health insurance will be automatically enrolled in the DMU program and charged the annual premium. Monitor your DMU email account for details regarding the forms.
- Technical Standards for Admission: Students must be able to meet the technical standards for education at DMU either with or without accommodation. You must complete the Technical Standards form located on Pulse.
And into summer…
Housing is abundant in the Des Moines area, and students in the past have found the best time to check out apartments is April-May. DMU does not own any dorms or residence halls, so students are responsible for locating their own housing arrangements. To help you out, Pulse contains the “DMU classifieds” which is a great place to post if you’re looking for a roommate or somewhere to live. In fact, more than 60% of students surveyed said they used this system to locate their roommate or living arrangements! The University acts solely as a facilitator in hosting this forum.
DMU has a one-time $200 parking fee. Cars can be registered on Pulse in July 2013.
Tuition is collected in two equal payments, each August and January. Tuition and fees are established by the University’s Board of Trustees each spring and collected by the accounting office. 2013-2014 CPMS annual tuition is $30,094. (Tuition and fees are subject to change.)
Books and equipment
Required and recommended textbooks and equipment are available from the on-campus bookstore, Matthews. Our current students have encouraged us to let you know to wait to buy your books until orientation. This helps save on costs, ensures you get the correct editions and most up-to-date required materials.
Mandatory orientation is scheduled August 6-8, 2013. The full schedule of events will be available on Pulse during the summer. At orientation you can expect to meet your classmates and advisor, learn how to navigate the transition to medical school, technology overview, professional integrity code, attend class meetings and learn about all the essentials at DMU.
Classes will begin on Monday, August 12, 2013. We look forward to seeing you back on campus!
The Admissions Office is available to answer your questions, please feel free to call or email us!