Congrats again on your offer of acceptance to the D.P.M Class of 2019 at DMU! We’re excited to have you join us in August! Because we know this process can be overwhelming, we’ve put together a quick guide to help you know when and what to expect until orientation.
Please note, your attendance is required on campus beginning Monday, August 3 through Friday, August 7, 2015.
Conditions of enrollment agreement
As a follow up to your acceptance email, you were sent a Conditions of Enrollment Agreement via email. The requirements laid out on this document are truly the conditions of your enrollment and must be completed by the due dates listed. Please read this document very carefully and return a signed copy to the admissions office by the deadline listed. As you are responsible for completing the tasks as outlined, you’ll want to keep a copy of this for yourself.
*If you have outstanding prerequisite coursework to be completed, you must have a plan in place to complete this prior to the start of classes. Please contact the admissions office immediately if you foresee difficulty in completing all conditions in time.
A non-refundable deposit of $500.00 is required to secure your seat in the class. Please refer to your deadline which is listed on your Conditions of Enrollment Agreement. The seat deposit not only secures your seat in the class, but also opens your account at DMU and is credited towards your tuition.
Submit your seat deposit online
Things to look for in spring 2015!
DMU Pulse and email
Beginning in early 2015, incoming students will receive information on how to access Pulse (DMU’s intranet) and your DMU email address. This information will be emailed to you, so be sure to keep this information safe. If you’re planning a move, please contact us at email@example.com with your new address. Pulse is your go-to spot for all types of information including:
- Financial aid: Detailed information will be available on Pulse beginning in April 2015. We recommend you wait until you’ve filed your 2014 taxes to get started on your FAFSA. Also, your parent’s tax info is only necessary if you are planning to apply for Pell Grants.
- Background checks: We require all students to complete background checks before enrolling. This helps us – and you – ensure there isn’t anything that could hinder your ability to be licensed to practice medicine. You are obligated to disclose all convictions and deferred judgments on your application. If you are unclear about past convictions it is best to check into it now. You will be required to complete annual background checks while enrolled at DMU. Instructions regarding completion of the background check will be posted to Pulse in May.
- Physical examination/laboratory tests and immunizations: You must submit current physical examination, certain laboratory tests and immunization records prior to matriculation. Forms will be posted to Pulse in May.
- Health insurance: Students are required to carry health insurance. Students who do not select an option regarding their health insurance will be automatically enrolled in the DMU program and charged the annual premium. Coverage for incoming students will not begin until August. Specific details of the health insurance requirements will be available on Pulse in May, and the sign-up/waiver period will take place throughout the summer.
- Technical Standards for Admission: Students must be able to meet the technical standards for education at DMU either with or without accommodation. The Technical Standards form will be available on Pulse this summer, but you may review the standards online here:
And into summer…
Housing is abundant in the Des Moines area, and students in the past have found the best time to check out apartments is April-May. DMU does not own any dorms or residence halls, so students are responsible for locating their own housing arrangements. To help you out, Pulse contains the “DMU classifieds” which is a great place to post if you’re looking for a roommate or somewhere to live. In fact, more than 60% of students surveyed said they used this system to locate their roommate or living arrangements! The University acts solely as a facilitator in hosting this forum.
View Housing Information
DMU has a one-time $220 parking fee. Cars can be registered on Pulse in the weeks prior to Orientation.
Tuition is collected in two equal payments, each August and January. Tuition and fees are established by the University’s Board of Trustees each spring and collected by the accounting office. 2015-2016 annual tuition was recently verified, so be sure to check out the cost of attendance budget to help you plan (tuition and fees are subject to change.)
Books and equipment
Required and recommended textbooks and equipment are available from the on-campus bookstore, Matthews. Our current students have encouraged us to let you know to wait to buy your books until orientation. This helps you save on costs and ensures you get the correct editions and most up-to-date required materials.
Please plan to attend mandatory sessions beginning Monday, August 3 through Friday, August 7, 2015. The full schedule of events will be available on Pulse in early summer. At orientation you can expect to meet your classmates and advisor, learn how to navigate the transition to medical school, technology overview, professional integrity code, attend class meetings and learn about all the essentials at DMU.
Classes will begin on Friday, August 7, 2015.
The Admissions Office is available to answer your questions, please feel free to call or email us!