The Student Counseling Center offers free confidential counseling for DMU students. Topics commonly discussed in counseling include:
- Adjustment issues such as time management, test anxiety, coping, balancing life and academics, balancing demands of board preparation with regular studies.
- Professional issues such as communication/interviewing skills, professional integrity skills, rotation and specialty selection, LOA options.
- Personal issues such as anxiety, depression, substance use, stress management, grief/loss, disordered eating
- Interpersonal issues such as conflict resolution, personal/professional relationship concern, effective communication.
Skills training, workshops and groups
The Student Counseling Center provides seminars and presentations on a variety of topics. Examples include (as need arises):
- Managing stress
- Improving sleep
- Increasing self-esteem
- Maintaining balance
- Enhancing communication skills
- Preparing for boards
- Alleviating test anxiety
- Substance abuse
- Premarital group counseling
- Medical school and pregnancy
- Mind/body wellness (in conjunction with Wellness Center)
- Multicultural awareness (in conjunction with Multicultural Affairs)