The mission of the Student Counseling Center is to empower DMU students to achieve success in their academic and professional endeavors. Our goals are to:
- Provide support, strategies, and skills to help DMU students manage stress, balance competing demands, and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Offer counseling to assist DMU students in identifying obstacles to academic success and developing healthy coping strategies.
- Encourage the mental health and emotional wellness of the DMU community through educational workshops and trainings.
- Promote inclusion, understanding, affirmation, and celebration of diverse identities and cultures in the DMU community.
- Support the vision of Student Services to provide a supportive student environment that is the model for other health professions education institutions.
- Assist students in identifying and resolving challenges to maximize their potential to benefit from the DMU academic experience and to succeed as health professionals.
- Conduct awareness programs that address remedial, preventive and developmental topics of interest to all students.
- Support events that provide cultural awareness and understanding and seek to imbed inclusiveness into the culture at Des Moines University.
- Demonstrate teamwork and collaboration by working with other departments to provide services that support student interests and needs.
- Engage in ongoing assessment through surveys, evaluations and interviews.