We want to see your creative side! Faculty and staff are invited to submit an original piece of art to be displayed in the DMU Library. See the rules below to see what types of art is accepted.
Sponsored by the Medical Humanities and Bioethics Department.
Submit an entry
||Announcement of “On Your Own Time” employee art competition on DMU Pulse. Submission of electronic entry form begins.
||4 p.m. deadline for all submissions
||Artists drop off artwork at the DMU Library in SEC
||Artwork is judged; exhibit is installed; and award ribbons are placed near winners.
||OYOT art display “Open House” and announcement of winners. Voting on “People’s Choice” artwork begins.
|July 23-August 31
||DMU art show displayed in Library
||“People’s Choice” voting ends.
||Announcement of “People’s Choice” award.
||Last day of DMU “On Your Own Time” art show
||Artists pick up their artwork from the DMU Library
Rules for entry
- Artists must be Des Moines University faculty or staff.
- Each artist is eligible to enter only one work.
Categories of art accepted
- Works on canvas (oils, acrylics, etc. on traditional canvas)
- Works on paper (drawings, prints, watercolors, etc.)
- Black and white photography
- Color photography
- Enhanced photography and computer art (photographs that have been significantly enhanced, altered, and/or manipulated, whether by computer software, by hand, or by other methods, as well as hard copies of other computer-generated art)
- Ceramics and wood (not including sculpture)
- Jewelry and metal (jewelry and other functional metal works; not including sculpture)
- Mixed media (use of more than one medium in a work of art)
- Textiles/fiber art (an object utilizing fabric, yarn, thread or textiles, including but not limited to the following techniques: weaving, quilting, needlework-embroidery, needlepoint, crocheting, tatting, knitting, sewing, basketry, wearable art, rugs, and surface designs such as batik, etc.)
Note: Kits will not be accepted. Kits are defined as anything made from a pattern that is not the original work of the artist, including but not limited to: needlework kits, patterns from a book, and woodworking kits with patterns.
- Entries must be the original work of one artist only and may not be a group project.
- All entries must have been created outside of work hours (on the artist’s own time).
- There is no restriction on when an entry was created.
- All artwork must be display-ready.
- Works (including photographs) designed to be hung must be framed and/or ready for hanging. That is, it must have a suitable wire or hook on the back for hanging. Tape and string are not acceptable. Only entries meeting this requirement will be accepted.
- When artwork is delivered to the Library for display, an identifying label will be attached (see “delivery and pick-up of artwork” below).
- Artists are encouraged to put identifying information on their art work, if possible, as backup information.
- If the artwork requires a special or unique display piece/stand/pedestal, the artist may provide same upon delivery of artwork.
- If an artwork weighs over 100 pounds or requires more than one person to safely move and/or install it, the artist must help move and/or install it.
Judging and announcement of winners
- There will be three judges who will impartially examine each piece of artwork and select the best of show, the first runner-up, and the second runner-up and any discretionary honorable mention awards. The decision of the judges is final.
- A “people’s choice” award will be selected by vote of the Des Moines University faculty and staff.
- Announcement of awards will be held at the open house on Friday, July 20, 2012, from 2-4 p.m. in the DMU Library.
- Names of all winners will be posted on the DMU Pulse the next work day after the open house.
Delivery and pick-up of artwork
- Artists are responsible for delivering their artwork to the DMU campus Library, second floor of the SEC between noon and 4 p.m. on either Thursday, 7/12/12 or Friday, 7/13/12.
- At the time of drop-off, a label with the artist’s name and daytime phone number will be attached to the artwork in an inconspicuous location.
- The artist will also be asked to sign a release form, holding harmless DMU and the OYOT committee.
- It is expected the artwork will be on display for the full six-week duration of the show from Monday, 7/23/12 through Friday, 8/31/12.
- At the end of the show artists must pick up the artwork from the DMU Library either Thursday or Friday, 9/6 or 9/7 between noon and 4 p.m.
Display and security of artwork
- Artwork will be arranged for display in the DMU campus Library by volunteers designated by the OYOT committee.
- Neither the OYOT committee nor DMU shall be responsible for any loss of or damage to artwork on display.
Submit an entry
Submissions must be received before 4 p.m. on July 10, 2012. Submission constitutes permission to publish the photo on the DMU Pulse, DMU Magazine or other outlets.