CPMS Dean Search
Des Moines University invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery. Founded in 1898, Des Moines University is a premier medical and health sciences institution comprising three colleges offering nine graduate degrees. The College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery (CPMS) offers a unique opportunity for a dynamic and visionary leader to promote innovative podiatric medical education, to improve lives in our global community, through the education of diverse groups of highly competent and compassionate health professionals. DMU’s College of Osteopathic Medicine is the second oldest osteopathic medical school and among the top 25 largest medical schools (for D.O. or M.D.) in the United States.
The DMU programs share a collective strength— a collaborative campus community where students and faculty come together in the pursuit of knowledge and innovation. Our strong reputation in medicine and health sciences fields is built on the commitment of our faculty who are passionate about training tomorrow's leaders with unmatched dedication and uncompromised intention. Our graduates enter the profession with confidence, compassion and the determination to improve the lives of others. Reporting to the Provost, this is a unique opportunity to join the university leadership team as DMU shapes the future of medical education and research in a new state-of-the-art medical and health sciences campus on an 88-acre parcel of Iowa farmland in West Des Moines. The new campus is scheduled to open in 2023, celebrating the 125th anniversary of DMU.
As a member of the executive leadership team, the Dean will implement the strategic plan currently in place -- Vision 2021 -- and lead the advancement of the next strategic plan for the College. The Dean’s primary responsibilities include the academic oversight of the Doctor of Podiatric Medicine program, including curriculum, planning and management of the operating budget, and development and implementation of strategies to promote the College’s growth and continued improvement. The Dean of the College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery is responsible for providing collaborative and consultative academic leadership and management within the CPMS.
The Successful Candidate
- Holds a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine degree from a CPME-accredited program.
- Is qualified, by academic experience and achievement, for an academic rank of Associate Professor or Full Professor.
- Is qualified by education, training, and experience to provide effective leadership in education, scholarly activity, and clinical training or administration.
- Possesses at least three years of experience in academic leadership roles that include budget management authority.
- Is licensed or eligible to obtain a license to practice podiatric medicine in the State of Iowa.
- Holds and maintains board certification by the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery or the American Board of Podiatric Medicine (ABPM).
Procedure for Candidacy
Inquiries, nominations, and applications invited and can be submitted in confidence to:
For formal consideration, application materials must be submitted electronically in MS Word or Adobe PDF. The application package should include:
- A letter of interest that directly addresses individual leadership qualities, capabilities, skills, and responsibilities as they relate to the following sections.
- A curriculum vitae.
Review of applications will begin immediately. The search will continue until the position is filled.
DMU Equal Opportunity Statement
Des Moines University is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnicity, creed, religion, age, disability, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information and other characteristics protected by law (“protected class”). DMU encourages applications from candidates of underrepresented groups.
Des Moines University is committed to the promotion of health care and the prevention of disease for our students, employees, patients, and communities. Thus, Des Moines University is a tobacco and smoke-free campus environment, and the use of tobacco products anywhere on University/Clinic property is prohibited.