Friday recipe: easy Thai chicken

August 9, 2013 —

Sometimes I love a relaxed weekend afternoon of trying a new recipe using a variety of ingredients and steps. I love to shop our local farmers’ markets and ethnic grocery stores for fresh produce and other foods new to my palate. On those days, I pat myself on the back and say, “You’re such a good human for taking the time to cook and eat healthy dishes that you’ve so skillfully and lovingly crafted.”

Then there is the brutal reality that much of the time I don’t want to drag out a pan or colander or Cuisinart or measuring cup. Most weekday evenings I can’t face a fridge or cupboard full of rudely unassembled ingredients. There are times I don’t want to chop, boil, sauté, simmer or bake. I won’t go for fast food or call for a pizza, but I’m definitely not above grabbing a few ready-made ingredients and slamming them together for my supper.

Photo: Tara Donne/Prevention.com

Photo: Tara Donne/Prevention.com

Today’s recipe from Prevention.com is one of my go-tos when I’m in such a sorry culinary state. After a quick stop at the grocery store, it takes just minutes to prepare.

Easy Thai chicken

• Rotisserie chicken (or leftover cooked chicken, if you have it)
  • 13.5-ounce can light coconut milk
  • 1-2 tablespoons bottled red curry paste
  • 4 teaspoons sugar or Splenda
  • Pepper to taste
  • 1 cup fresh basil leaves
  • Lime wedges

Pull meat from the rotisserie chicken in large pieces. Spoon a few tablespoons of coconut milk into a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the curry paste. Add the sugar or Splenda, remaining coconut milk and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer, add chicken and warm through. Stir in basil leaves. Serve with lime wedges and, if you wish, rice.

Endlessly curious and easily entertained, Barb Dietrich Boose loves being a member of the friendly, fascinating DMU community and its creative communications team. The University's publications director and DMU Magazine editor, Barb is always on the hunt for story ideas, good books and new recipes to try out on her family, such as her surprisingly tasty pork-and-bean bars.