Friday recipe: mayo-free tuna salad

April 26, 2013 —

Are you a brown-bagger at lunch time? I am, given that I’m a control freak about what I eat who’s on a budget. Since I’m not one to slave away in the kitchen, however, I often find my weekday lunch in a can of tuna. I love to combine this excellent source of lean protein and omega-3 fatty acids with corn kernels, cumin and my spouse’s fabulous green tomato salsa (be very, very jealous).

Photo: Eating by Elaine

Photo: Eating by Elaine

Today’s tuna stir-up is adapted from the website of Elaine Gordon, a self-proclaimed foodie who serves up a smorgasbord of tasty, healthy recipes featuring fresh, whole ingredients. I heartily endorse her recommendation to serve this salad as a dip with one of my personal addictions, Terra sweet potato chips.

Mayo-free tuna salad

• 1 avocado
  • 2 small shallots
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
  • 2 cans white tuna, drained

Puree the avocado, shallots, garlic cloves, pepper and salt in a mini-food processor. Smash together in a bowl with the drained tuna. Serve well chilled.

Endlessly curious and easily entertained, Barb Dietrich Boose loves being a member of the friendly, fascinating DMU community and its creative communications team. The University's publications director and DMU Magazine editor, Barb is always on the hunt for story ideas, good books and new recipes to try out on her family, such as her surprisingly tasty pork-and-bean bars.